Vicksburg books

  • William Gower
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004

      For someone who has never read anything about the Vicksburg Campaign before, what books would you recommend?

    • josepharose
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower"
        <billgower@c...> wrote:
        > For someone who has never read anything about the Vicksburg
        Campaign before,
        > what books would you recommend?

        Mr. Gower:

        Try:
        Edwin Cole Bearss, "The campaign for Vicksburg" (it is, however,
        three heavy volumes)
        Timothy B. Smith, "Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg"

        I would also recommend a wonderful new atlas of the entire war which
        appears to be newly published: the "Atlas Of The Civil War, Month By
        Month: Major Battles And Troop Movements" by Mark Swanson,
        Jacqueline D. Langley (Illustrator). It gives one a great feel for
        the general flow of the conflict and alerts the reader to many of
        the lesser-known engagements in a certain area and time.

        Joseph
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
          wrote:
          > For someone who has never read anything about the Vicksburg
          Campaign before,
          > what books would you recommend?

          Terrence Winschel has authored, or co-authored, a number of slim
          volumes on the Vicksburg campaign. It's hard to go wrong with any of
          these, though reading more than one is an exercise in redundancy...

          In 'Triumph & Defeat', he presents a series of essays spanning the
          entire campaign.

          'Vicksburg: Fall of the Confederate Gibraltar' is a standalone volume
          of the campaign.

          'Vicksburg Is the Key: the Struggle for the Mississippi River' covers
          the same ground and is co-authored with William Shea...

          Winschel is the chief historian at Vicksburg and also wrote a self-
          guiding battlefield tour.

          HankC
        • William H Keene
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
            > I would also recommend a wonderful new atlas of the entire war which
            > appears to be newly published: the "Atlas Of The Civil War, Month By
            > Month: Major Battles And Troop Movements" by Mark Swanson,
            > Jacqueline D. Langley (Illustrator). It gives one a great feel for
            > the general flow of the conflict and alerts the reader to many of
            > the lesser-known engagements in a certain area and time.
            >
            > Joseph

            I agree with Joseph [tis the season for fellowship]. Saw this book at a bookstore and I fell
            in love. The book is organized such that each spread has a map on the right hand page
            and text on the left hand page. Each spread covers one month in the war. The area
            shown in the maps is always the same. Lines of different color and weight depict areas of
            control, advances and retreats, mahjor redployments, raids, battles, areas of partisan
            activity, etc. The text on the facing page is broken into headings by geographical locale
            (ie: Arkansas, Virginia/Maryland, Georgia and the Carolinas, etc) with short descriptions
            of what occured during that month. A special section at the end covers the action in
            western Texas/Arizona/New Mexico/California.