Re: [civilwarwest] Re: JEJ'S PHOTO TRIVIA

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
      In a message dated 12/4/2004 4:26:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, tsjdmxm2000@... writes:
      This is Resaca and there is a very nice cemetary nearby.
      I believe that this is the cemetery that y'all are referring to.

      Best Regards
      JEJ

      "I have realized in our country that one class of
      men makes war and leaves another to fight it out."
             - William T. Sherman

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
        In a message dated 12/4/2004 4:26:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, tsjdmxm2000@... writes:
        Unfortunately, after years of efforts to put this field into public hands (I believe that at the time these photographs were taken, the field was in private hands), the TVA now proposes to build a power line through it.
        Fortunately, the Battlefield Preservation group with the help of the State of Georgia, has been able to stop Mohawk Carpet from building a factory on part of the battlefield and will be restored.  This is a start at least.

        Those that rest in that cemetery are there as the result of the daughter of the plantation owner whose land that the battle was fought upon.  She talked her father into giving five acres of land and then with the help of slaves, moved bodies from shallow graves on the battlefield to their final resting place.  Many of the graves are identified and many are not.  I try to stop there everytime I go through Resaca on the Michigan Expressway (I-75  )