Re: [civilwarwest] Re: JEJ'S PHOTO TRIVIA

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
      OK folks, here is the third week's photo trivia.  Once again, the battle is the same.

      In photo number one, Camp Creek  The Federal forces came from behind these hills to the north and emerged into the Camp Creek valley.   Photo number two  Retreating Confederates burned this railroad bridge over the river . The modern bridge is built on the original foundations

       The image ���file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dad.FORBIN/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Dad's%20Misc%20Pix/CW%20Pix/resaca11.jpg��� cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

       The image ���file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dad.FORBIN/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Dad's%20Misc%20Pix/CW%20Pix/resaca12.jpg��� cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

      Best Regards
      JEJ

      "I have realized in our country that one class of
      men makes war and leaves another to fight it out."
             - William T. Sherman

    • Rick Moody
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
        I believe this is part of the Resaca Battlefield.
        McPherson charged through this area to attack the
        Confederate positions in front of Resaca. If memory
        serves me there is a Confederate Cemetery very near
        this site.

        =====
        Rick Moody
        r_moody@...

        "Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
        -Samuel Adams

        "Let your secret sympathies and your compassion be always with the underdog in the fight -- this is magnanimity; but bet on the other one -- this is business."
        - Mark Twain

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • SDE80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2004
          In a message dated 12/3/2004 7:32:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, r_moody@... writes:
          I believe this is part of the Resaca Battlefield.
          McPherson charged through this area to attack the
          Confederate positions in front of Resaca.  If memory
          serves me there is a Confederate Cemetery very near
          this site.
          I'd agree.  The river looks like the Oostanaula

          Sam Elliott
        • Michael McKinnon
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
            This is Resaca and there is a very nice cemetary nearby.  Unfortunately, after years of efforts to put this field into public hands (I believe that at the time these photographs were taken, the field was in private hands), the TVA now proposes to build a power line through it.

            Michael

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
              In a message dated 12/4/2004 4:26:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, tsjdmxm2000@... writes:
              This is Resaca and there is a very nice cemetary nearby.
              I believe that this is the cemetery that y'all are referring to.

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2004
                In a message dated 12/4/2004 4:26:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, tsjdmxm2000@... writes:
                Unfortunately, after years of efforts to put this field into public hands (I believe that at the time these photographs were taken, the field was in private hands), the TVA now proposes to build a power line through it.
                Fortunately, the Battlefield Preservation group with the help of the State of Georgia, has been able to stop Mohawk Carpet from building a factory on part of the battlefield and will be restored.  This is a start at least.

                Those that rest in that cemetery are there as the result of the daughter of the plantation owner whose land that the battle was fought upon.  She talked her father into giving five acres of land and then with the help of slaves, moved bodies from shallow graves on the battlefield to their final resting place.  Many of the graves are identified and many are not.  I try to stop there everytime I go through Resaca on the Michigan Expressway (I-75  )