RE: [civilwarwest] Re: great books

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

      Put me in the “Dave” column with regards to Robertson’s book.  Dave correctly refers to it as “hero worship” and I have often termed it a literary, er, um, geez, I don’t know if I can get this one past the monitors…

      Harry

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
        WOW-- these two folks sure prove why they ake so many flavors of ice
        cream. Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
        sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
        was rather critical of Stonewall. I finished the book with a much
        lower opinion of Jackson than I had been previously given by
        Henderson, Freeman and so many others.
        As far as the failure to provide an 'evaluation' of Jacksons
        military career, I personally took a different take. I appreciated
        it, I felt that Robertson presented the facts and let the reader
        draw his conclusions. I liked that approach and I wish more authors
        would let the reader do their own thinking-- HOWEVER like I said
        that is why we do have so many flavors of ice cream and I certainly
        respect other's disagreement with me. After all I DID say I could be
        all wrong...
        Wakefield
        > Put me in the "Dave" column with regards to Robertson's book. Dave
        > correctly refers to it as "hero worship" and I have often termed
        it a
        > literary, er, um, geez, I don't know if I can get this one past the
        > monitors.
        >

        > Harry

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129691c1f/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
        76/D=gr

        oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1102159177/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http
        :/www.n
        > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here
        >

        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
        > :HM/A=2434971/rand=903830780>
        >

        > _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        subject=Unsubscribe>

      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
          In a message dated 12/3/2004 7:52:26 AM Central Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

          Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
          sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
          was rather critical of Stonewall.

          I would say that I might consider "hero-worship" a little strong, and Robertson did dwell on some of Jackson's odd personal relationships, but overall, I felt that Robertson was more trying to "humanize" his hero rather than take a hard look at Jackson as a soldier. To that extent, I believe it was obvious that Robertson was definitely a Jackson-o-phile.

          Dave

          Dave