Re: [civilwarwest] Re: great books

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      In a message dated 12/2/2004 9:06:08 PM Central Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:

      Steve,

      I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Robertson's book on Stonewall.  Easily one of the best Civil War Books I have ever read.  The last chapter of the book always sticks out with me, and it especially returned to my mind when the Muster group stopped by Guinea Station last June in Virginia.

      Hope all is well.

      I gotta disagree.

      I think it fine that Robertson did such a massive amount of work, but I think he failed in one key aspect - I think Robertson himself has admitted that he did not analyze Jackson's military skills and career that much, because he (Robertson) was not a professional soldier. Instead, he focused on Jackson as a person.

      To me, the one thing that made Jackson famous, an historical celebrity, as it were, was his military performance. Beyond that, you have a religious, mildly eccentric former soldier and math professor.

      Robertson, in ducking the hard questions of Jackson's military skills, failed a critical task of the biographer. While I thought the book was richly detailed, it doesn't really go beyond hero-worship to me.

      Dave Powell
    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

        Put me in the “Dave” column with regards to Robertson’s book.  Dave correctly refers to it as “hero worship” and I have often termed it a literary, er, um, geez, I don’t know if I can get this one past the monitors…

        Harry

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
          WOW-- these two folks sure prove why they ake so many flavors of ice
          cream. Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
          sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
          was rather critical of Stonewall. I finished the book with a much
          lower opinion of Jackson than I had been previously given by
          Henderson, Freeman and so many others.
          As far as the failure to provide an 'evaluation' of Jacksons
          military career, I personally took a different take. I appreciated
          it, I felt that Robertson presented the facts and let the reader
          draw his conclusions. I liked that approach and I wish more authors
          would let the reader do their own thinking-- HOWEVER like I said
          that is why we do have so many flavors of ice cream and I certainly
          respect other's disagreement with me. After all I DID say I could be
          all wrong...
          Wakefield
          > Put me in the "Dave" column with regards to Robertson's book. Dave
          > correctly refers to it as "hero worship" and I have often termed
          it a
          > literary, er, um, geez, I don't know if I can get this one past the
          > monitors.
          >

          > Harry

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129691c1f/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
          76/D=gr

          oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1102159177/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http
          :/www.n
          > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here
          >

          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
          > :HM/A=2434971/rand=903830780>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
            In a message dated 12/3/2004 7:52:26 AM Central Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

            Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
            sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
            was rather critical of Stonewall.

            I would say that I might consider "hero-worship" a little strong, and Robertson did dwell on some of Jackson's odd personal relationships, but overall, I felt that Robertson was more trying to "humanize" his hero rather than take a hard look at Jackson as a soldier. To that extent, I believe it was obvious that Robertson was definitely a Jackson-o-phile.

            Dave

            Dave