Re: great books

  • aot1952
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
      Mr. Mix-
      It is just my opinion, but I think by far and away the best CW
      biography to come out the last few years is Robertson's "Stonewall
      Jackson". It is exhaustively researched, well written, breaks a lot
      of new ground and dispels a lot of myths. I saw it is now out in
      paperback.
      I am not a big 'Stonewall' fan and certainly not a 'the war began
      and ended with Virginia believer'. But for me I can not think of a
      CW biography in the last 15 years that even approachs the over-all
      quality and value of this work.

      I could of course be all wrong-
      Wakefield

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        In a message dated 12/1/2004 11:52:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

        Since we are on the subject of books, how about some of the best biographies out there? East or West.

        I like Edward Longacre’s bio on John Buford and “The Confederacy’s Greatest Cavalryman  Nathan Bedford Forrest by Brian Steel Wills.

        Got some other ideas out there?

        Shame on you Tom.  You forgot to list Alexander Peter Stewart by our own SDE80, Sam Elliott

        JEJ
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004

          You  are certainly correct in that over sight.  But also “Doctor Quintard, Chaplain C.S.A. and Second Bishop of Tennessee”  By one Sam Davis Elliott.  A very nice read too. I recommend them both.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
            In a message dated 12/2/2004 8:51:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

            Mr. Mix-
            It is just my opinion, but I think by far and away the best CW
            biography to come out the last few years is Robertson's "Stonewall
            Jackson". It is exhaustively researched, well written, breaks a lot
            of new ground and dispels a lot of myths. I saw it is now out in
            paperback.
            I am not a big 'Stonewall' fan and certainly not a 'the war began
            and ended with Virginia believer'. But for me I can not think of a
            CW biography in the last 15 years that even approachs the over-all
            quality and value of this work.

            I could of course be all wrong-
            Wakefield

            Steve,

            I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Robertson's book on Stonewall.  Easily one of the best Civil War Books I have ever read.  The last chapter of the book always sticks out with me, and it especially returned to my mind when the Muster group stopped by Guinea Station last June in Virginia.

            Hope all is well.

            Regards from the Garden State,

            Steve Basic
          • DPowell334@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
              In a message dated 12/2/2004 9:06:08 PM Central Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:

              Steve,

              I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Robertson's book on Stonewall.  Easily one of the best Civil War Books I have ever read.  The last chapter of the book always sticks out with me, and it especially returned to my mind when the Muster group stopped by Guinea Station last June in Virginia.

              Hope all is well.

              I gotta disagree.

              I think it fine that Robertson did such a massive amount of work, but I think he failed in one key aspect - I think Robertson himself has admitted that he did not analyze Jackson's military skills and career that much, because he (Robertson) was not a professional soldier. Instead, he focused on Jackson as a person.

              To me, the one thing that made Jackson famous, an historical celebrity, as it were, was his military performance. Beyond that, you have a religious, mildly eccentric former soldier and math professor.

              Robertson, in ducking the hard questions of Jackson's military skills, failed a critical task of the biographer. While I thought the book was richly detailed, it doesn't really go beyond hero-worship to me.

              Dave Powell
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

                Put me in the “Dave” column with regards to Robertson’s book.  Dave correctly refers to it as “hero worship” and I have often termed it a literary, er, um, geez, I don’t know if I can get this one past the monitors…

                Harry

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                  WOW-- these two folks sure prove why they ake so many flavors of ice
                  cream. Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
                  sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
                  was rather critical of Stonewall. I finished the book with a much
                  lower opinion of Jackson than I had been previously given by
                  Henderson, Freeman and so many others.
                  As far as the failure to provide an 'evaluation' of Jacksons
                  military career, I personally took a different take. I appreciated
                  it, I felt that Robertson presented the facts and let the reader
                  draw his conclusions. I liked that approach and I wish more authors
                  would let the reader do their own thinking-- HOWEVER like I said
                  that is why we do have so many flavors of ice cream and I certainly
                  respect other's disagreement with me. After all I DID say I could be
                  all wrong...
                  Wakefield
                  > Put me in the "Dave" column with regards to Robertson's book. Dave
                  > correctly refers to it as "hero worship" and I have often termed
                  it a
                  > literary, er, um, geez, I don't know if I can get this one past the
                  > monitors.
                  >

                  > Harry

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129691c1f/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
                  76/D=gr

                  oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1102159177/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http
                  :/www.n
                  > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here
                  >

                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                  > :HM/A=2434971/rand=903830780>
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 12/3/2004 7:52:26 AM Central Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

                    Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
                    sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
                    was rather critical of Stonewall.

                    I would say that I might consider "hero-worship" a little strong, and Robertson did dwell on some of Jackson's odd personal relationships, but overall, I felt that Robertson was more trying to "humanize" his hero rather than take a hard look at Jackson as a soldier. To that extent, I believe it was obvious that Robertson was definitely a Jackson-o-phile.

                    Dave

                    Dave