great books

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004

      Since we are on the subject of books, how about some of the best biographies out there? East or West.

      I like Edward Longacre’s bio on John Buford and “The Confederacy’s Greatest Cavalryman  Nathan Bedford Forrest by Brian Steel Wills.

      Got some other ideas out there?

    • aot1952
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        Mr. Mix-
        It is just my opinion, but I think by far and away the best CW
        biography to come out the last few years is Robertson's "Stonewall
        Jackson". It is exhaustively researched, well written, breaks a lot
        of new ground and dispels a lot of myths. I saw it is now out in
        paperback.
        I am not a big 'Stonewall' fan and certainly not a 'the war began
        and ended with Virginia believer'. But for me I can not think of a
        CW biography in the last 15 years that even approachs the over-all
        quality and value of this work.

        I could of course be all wrong-
        Wakefield

      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
          In a message dated 12/1/2004 11:52:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:

          Since we are on the subject of books, how about some of the best biographies out there? East or West.

          I like Edward Longacre’s bio on John Buford and “The Confederacy’s Greatest Cavalryman  Nathan Bedford Forrest by Brian Steel Wills.

          Got some other ideas out there?

          Shame on you Tom.  You forgot to list Alexander Peter Stewart by our own SDE80, Sam Elliott

          JEJ
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004

            You  are certainly correct in that over sight.  But also “Doctor Quintard, Chaplain C.S.A. and Second Bishop of Tennessee”  By one Sam Davis Elliott.  A very nice read too. I recommend them both.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
              In a message dated 12/2/2004 8:51:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

              Mr. Mix-
              It is just my opinion, but I think by far and away the best CW
              biography to come out the last few years is Robertson's "Stonewall
              Jackson". It is exhaustively researched, well written, breaks a lot
              of new ground and dispels a lot of myths. I saw it is now out in
              paperback.
              I am not a big 'Stonewall' fan and certainly not a 'the war began
              and ended with Virginia believer'. But for me I can not think of a
              CW biography in the last 15 years that even approachs the over-all
              quality and value of this work.

              I could of course be all wrong-
              Wakefield

              Steve,

              I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Robertson's book on Stonewall.  Easily one of the best Civil War Books I have ever read.  The last chapter of the book always sticks out with me, and it especially returned to my mind when the Muster group stopped by Guinea Station last June in Virginia.

              Hope all is well.

              Regards from the Garden State,

              Steve Basic
            • DPowell334@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                In a message dated 12/2/2004 9:06:08 PM Central Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:

                Steve,

                I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Robertson's book on Stonewall.  Easily one of the best Civil War Books I have ever read.  The last chapter of the book always sticks out with me, and it especially returned to my mind when the Muster group stopped by Guinea Station last June in Virginia.

                Hope all is well.

                I gotta disagree.

                I think it fine that Robertson did such a massive amount of work, but I think he failed in one key aspect - I think Robertson himself has admitted that he did not analyze Jackson's military skills and career that much, because he (Robertson) was not a professional soldier. Instead, he focused on Jackson as a person.

                To me, the one thing that made Jackson famous, an historical celebrity, as it were, was his military performance. Beyond that, you have a religious, mildly eccentric former soldier and math professor.

                Robertson, in ducking the hard questions of Jackson's military skills, failed a critical task of the biographer. While I thought the book was richly detailed, it doesn't really go beyond hero-worship to me.

                Dave Powell
              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

                  Put me in the “Dave” column with regards to Robertson’s book.  Dave correctly refers to it as “hero worship” and I have often termed it a literary, er, um, geez, I don’t know if I can get this one past the monitors…

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                    WOW-- these two folks sure prove why they ake so many flavors of ice
                    cream. Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
                    sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
                    was rather critical of Stonewall. I finished the book with a much
                    lower opinion of Jackson than I had been previously given by
                    Henderson, Freeman and so many others.
                    As far as the failure to provide an 'evaluation' of Jacksons
                    military career, I personally took a different take. I appreciated
                    it, I felt that Robertson presented the facts and let the reader
                    draw his conclusions. I liked that approach and I wish more authors
                    would let the reader do their own thinking-- HOWEVER like I said
                    that is why we do have so many flavors of ice cream and I certainly
                    respect other's disagreement with me. After all I DID say I could be
                    all wrong...
                    Wakefield
                    > Put me in the "Dave" column with regards to Robertson's book. Dave
                    > correctly refers to it as "hero worship" and I have often termed
                    it a
                    > literary, er, um, geez, I don't know if I can get this one past the
                    > monitors.
                    >

                    > Harry

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129691c1f/M=298184.5639630.6699735.30011
                    76/D=gr

                    oups/S=1705126278:HM/EXP=1102159177/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http
                    :/www.n
                    > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here
                    >

                    > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                    M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    > :HM/A=2434971/rand=903830780>
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/3/2004 7:52:26 AM Central Standard Time, aot1952@... writes:

                      Their opinions certainly are valid. However I got to say I
                      sure did not consider the book 'hero-worship' and in fact I felt it
                      was rather critical of Stonewall.

                      I would say that I might consider "hero-worship" a little strong, and Robertson did dwell on some of Jackson's odd personal relationships, but overall, I felt that Robertson was more trying to "humanize" his hero rather than take a hard look at Jackson as a soldier. To that extent, I believe it was obvious that Robertson was definitely a Jackson-o-phile.

                      Dave

                      Dave