Re: [civilwarwest] Holidays

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
      In a message dated 12/1/2004 3:21:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:
      Remember, when you get old the memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first was thing was :-)

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com/
      I have no trouble seeing a golf ball two hundred yards down the fairway. I only have a hellava time remembering where I saw it.,

      Wayne   aka  JEJ
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        Kevin, I don't think you are one of them but I would suggest that anyone who doesn't have the Official Records (both Army and Navy) on the Guild Press CD, those are a must in any library and Christmas is a great time to start dropping hints.  I say get the Guild Press ones because the H-Bar ones have too many errors (typo's, even to whole paragraphs) in the them and the Broadfoot ones are just too expensive.  By the way, there is no more Guild Press, it was bought out and the new ownership no longer sells them.  However, the individual that designed them has the rights and he is selling them at the same low price.  I promised him I would put his link on my website but someone along the line I lost the email he sent me.  Not to worry though, I will find it.  Just put it in a file somewhere and forgot where the where is.  Remember, when you get old the memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first was thing was :-)

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com
        Ok....the holidays are upon us.  I am being asked what books I want (need).  My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously for some reason. :)  Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so I'm coming to all of you.  What books are you asking for and/or what books are needed in your library?  What do you all recommend?

        Thanks,
        Kevin

      • Ray Todd Knight
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Coys" <thecoys@k...> wrote:
          > Ok....the holidays are upon us. I am being asked what books I want
          (need). My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously
          for some reason. :) Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so I'm
          coming to all of you. What books are you asking for and/or what books
          are needed in your library? What do you all recommend?

          > Thanks,
          > Kevin

          Here is the list I printed out and passed on to my sister last weekend

          Blood Image – Turner Ashby in the Civil War
          Paul Christopher Anderson

          Shiloh – Bloody April
          Wiley Sword

          No Better Place to Die – The Battle of Stones River
          Peter Cozzens

          Shiloh – In Hell Before Night
          James Lee McDonough

          The Confederacy's Last Hurrah – Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville
          Wiley Sword

          The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga
          Peter Cozzens

          Five Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin
          James Lee McDonough

          Todd
        • b_schulte70
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
            I love these kinds of threads, if only to find some new stuff myself
            while giving out the stuff I've liked in the past. Here's my list of
            some favorites for the West (prices are from amazon.com, although I
            do most of my shopping at www.abebooks.com, www.alibris.com, and
            www.half.com):

            Ninety-Eight Days: A Geographer's View of the Vicksburg Campaign
            687 pp., $41.28
            by Warren E. Grabau
            Comment: As the title states, this one takes a look at the Vicksburg
            Campaign from the view of a geographer, specifically Grabau. The
            maps are numerous and well-done. I highly recommend this one.

            The Vicksburg Campaign: Vicksburg is the Key Vol. 1
            769 pp., $42.50
            The Vicksburg Campaign: Grant Strikes a Fatal Blow Vol. 2
            689 pp., $42.50
            The Vicksburg Campaign: Unvexed To The Sea Vol. 3
            761 pp., $42.50
            by Edwin Cole Bearss
            Comment: If you want to know about the Vicksburg Campaign, buy this
            set. It's expensive, but it was definitely worth it for me.

            This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga
            675 pp., $26.37
            No Better Place to Die: The Battle of Stones River
            281 pp., $19.77
            The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga
            515 pp., $13.57
            The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka & Corinth
            389 pp., $29.70
            Comment: Cozzens is one of the best there is, and these four books
            were all essential additions to my collection.

            Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle
            494 pp., $23.10
            by Kenneth W. Noe
            Comment: This is generally considered the best account of Perryville
            available, though Hafendorfer's book is good too.

            Shiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War
            430 pp., OOP in hardcover
            by Larry J. Daniel
            Comment: Although Sword's book is good too, I prefer Daniel's account
            of Shiloh.

            Embattled Arkansas: The Prairie Grove Campaign of 1862
            580 pp., OOP in HC
            by Michael E. Banasik
            Comment: I haven't read this yet, but everything I've heard points to
            this being an excellent account of Prairie Grove, including the
            entire Campaign.

            Decision in the West: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864
            688 pp., OOP in HC
            by Albert E. Castel
            Commment: The best account of the Campaign, but I'd eventually like
            to see a multi-volume treatment similar to Bearss' Vicksburg Campaign.

            Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the Atlanta Campaign
            645 pp., OOP in HC
            by David Evans
            Comment: I had this sitting on one of my bookshelves for a few years
            when the members of this group heartily endorsed it. I couldn't
            agree more. I am not a huge fan of Cavalry raids, but Evans keeps
            things interesting throughout. I'm almost finished reading the book
            and I should have a review and summary up on the board within the
            next few weeks.

            That's about it off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing
            a few others I'd highly recommend (I'm at work).

            Brett S.