RE: [civilwarwest] Holidays

  • Daniel Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004

                                                      Kevin,

                  Absolutely ANYTHING by Bruce Catton, the Civil War Trilogy by Foote, one or two by Stephen Sears…and then there’s the B list.

                                                      Dan

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        In a message dated 12/1/2004 12:31:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, thecoys@... writes:
        Ok....the holidays are upon us.  I am being asked what books I want (need).  My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously for some reason. :)  Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so I'm coming to all of you.  What books are you asking for and/or what books are needed in your library?  What do you all recommend?

        Thanks,
        Kevin
        Kevin,
        For books by modern authors, I like Elliott (SDE80) Marzalec, Sword, and McMurry.  Am presently reading a second time, Atlanta Will Fall by Stephen Davis.  I don't know why I am doing it since he is so anti-Johnston, it is pathetic.  It is as if he had a personal vendetta against the man.

        I also like to go to ABEbooks.com and find out of date books.  You can find alot of out-of-print books there at a very reasonable price, many being first editions.  That is where I found my Campaigns of Sherman copywrited 1865 in good condition.  Also found Sherman's Letters Home and another on Sherman's wife.  All give a good insight to the man himself.
        There are many other books similiar to these on almost any leader of the war..

        JEJ
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
          In a message dated 12/1/2004 1:51:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
          That is where I found my Campaigns of Sherman copywrited 1865 in good condition.
          Sorry, the name of the book is Sherman and His Campaigns not as I sent out originally.   Bag Head The author is Col. Samuel Bowman who was on Sherman's staff.

          JEJ
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
            In a message dated 12/1/2004 3:21:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:
            Remember, when you get old the memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first was thing was :-)

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com/
            I have no trouble seeing a golf ball two hundred yards down the fairway. I only have a hellava time remembering where I saw it.,

            Wayne   aka  JEJ
          • Dick Weeks
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
              Kevin, I don't think you are one of them but I would suggest that anyone who doesn't have the Official Records (both Army and Navy) on the Guild Press CD, those are a must in any library and Christmas is a great time to start dropping hints.  I say get the Guild Press ones because the H-Bar ones have too many errors (typo's, even to whole paragraphs) in the them and the Broadfoot ones are just too expensive.  By the way, there is no more Guild Press, it was bought out and the new ownership no longer sells them.  However, the individual that designed them has the rights and he is selling them at the same low price.  I promised him I would put his link on my website but someone along the line I lost the email he sent me.  Not to worry though, I will find it.  Just put it in a file somewhere and forgot where the where is.  Remember, when you get old the memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first was thing was :-)

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
              http://www.civilwarhome.com
              Ok....the holidays are upon us.  I am being asked what books I want (need).  My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously for some reason. :)  Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so I'm coming to all of you.  What books are you asking for and/or what books are needed in your library?  What do you all recommend?

              Thanks,
              Kevin

            • Ray Todd Knight
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Coys" <thecoys@k...> wrote:
                > Ok....the holidays are upon us. I am being asked what books I want
                (need). My answer is "all of them" but I'm not being taken seriously
                for some reason. :) Anyway, I need to narrow my list down some so I'm
                coming to all of you. What books are you asking for and/or what books
                are needed in your library? What do you all recommend?

                > Thanks,
                > Kevin

                Here is the list I printed out and passed on to my sister last weekend

                Blood Image – Turner Ashby in the Civil War
                Paul Christopher Anderson

                Shiloh – Bloody April
                Wiley Sword

                No Better Place to Die – The Battle of Stones River
                Peter Cozzens

                Shiloh – In Hell Before Night
                James Lee McDonough

                The Confederacy's Last Hurrah – Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville
                Wiley Sword

                The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga
                Peter Cozzens

                Five Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin
                James Lee McDonough

                Todd
              • b_schulte70
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
                  I love these kinds of threads, if only to find some new stuff myself
                  while giving out the stuff I've liked in the past. Here's my list of
                  some favorites for the West (prices are from amazon.com, although I
                  do most of my shopping at www.abebooks.com, www.alibris.com, and
                  www.half.com):

                  Ninety-Eight Days: A Geographer's View of the Vicksburg Campaign
                  687 pp., $41.28
                  by Warren E. Grabau
                  Comment: As the title states, this one takes a look at the Vicksburg
                  Campaign from the view of a geographer, specifically Grabau. The
                  maps are numerous and well-done. I highly recommend this one.

                  The Vicksburg Campaign: Vicksburg is the Key Vol. 1
                  769 pp., $42.50
                  The Vicksburg Campaign: Grant Strikes a Fatal Blow Vol. 2
                  689 pp., $42.50
                  The Vicksburg Campaign: Unvexed To The Sea Vol. 3
                  761 pp., $42.50
                  by Edwin Cole Bearss
                  Comment: If you want to know about the Vicksburg Campaign, buy this
                  set. It's expensive, but it was definitely worth it for me.

                  This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga
                  675 pp., $26.37
                  No Better Place to Die: The Battle of Stones River
                  281 pp., $19.77
                  The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga
                  515 pp., $13.57
                  The Darkest Days of the War: The Battles of Iuka & Corinth
                  389 pp., $29.70
                  Comment: Cozzens is one of the best there is, and these four books
                  were all essential additions to my collection.

                  Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle
                  494 pp., $23.10
                  by Kenneth W. Noe
                  Comment: This is generally considered the best account of Perryville
                  available, though Hafendorfer's book is good too.

                  Shiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War
                  430 pp., OOP in hardcover
                  by Larry J. Daniel
                  Comment: Although Sword's book is good too, I prefer Daniel's account
                  of Shiloh.

                  Embattled Arkansas: The Prairie Grove Campaign of 1862
                  580 pp., OOP in HC
                  by Michael E. Banasik
                  Comment: I haven't read this yet, but everything I've heard points to
                  this being an excellent account of Prairie Grove, including the
                  entire Campaign.

                  Decision in the West: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864
                  688 pp., OOP in HC
                  by Albert E. Castel
                  Commment: The best account of the Campaign, but I'd eventually like
                  to see a multi-volume treatment similar to Bearss' Vicksburg Campaign.

                  Sherman's Horsemen: Union Cavalry Operations in the Atlanta Campaign
                  645 pp., OOP in HC
                  by David Evans
                  Comment: I had this sitting on one of my bookshelves for a few years
                  when the members of this group heartily endorsed it. I couldn't
                  agree more. I am not a huge fan of Cavalry raids, but Evans keeps
                  things interesting throughout. I'm almost finished reading the book
                  and I should have a review and summary up on the board within the
                  next few weeks.

                  That's about it off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing
                  a few others I'd highly recommend (I'm at work).

                  Brett S.