Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Historic Civil War gunship found in the muddy Mississippi River

  • Michael McKinnon
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
      I believe the article is incorrect.  There is a pretty clear "chain of custody" of Chickasaw from construction to scrapping.  There were a couple of monitors ( Catawba a nd Oneota) that were sold to Peru.  There may have been others, but Chickasaw was apparantly never comissioned by another Navy, but I have been wrong before.

      Michael

      carlw4514 <carlw4514@...> wrote:

      getting back to this, I notice the article says that the CHICKASAW was
      scuttled in Peru in 1880 [last para]. Either that is wrong or they
      have not found the CHICKASAW at New Orleans.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:

      > For an article on the Chickasaw, see
      >
      > http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/chickasaw.html
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, lilsteve68@a... wrote:
      > > Historic Civil War gunship in the muddy Mississippi River
      > >
      > > NEW ORLEANS On a bend in the Mississippi River, beneath the
      > chocolate brown
      > > water, archeologists have come across a surprising find: A sunken,
      > hulking
      > > Civil War gunship that played a heroic role in the Battle of Mobile
      > Bay.
      > >
      > > The U-S-S Chickasaw -- brainchild of engineering genius James
      > Buchanan Eads
      > > and Union stalwart in the Battle of Mobile Bay -- was recently
      > rediscovered in

      > > a graveyard of shipwrecks in the area known as Carrollton, once a
      > town upriver
      > > from the French Quarter.
      > >
      > > The Chickasaw, which is now the only known Milwaukee class ironclad
      > river
      > > monitor left, was put to rest in 1944 at that spot on the river,
      > fading into
      > > memory along with other outdated and unusable vessels and barges.

      Do you Yahoo!?