3rd Indiana Cavalry

  • rtloweatty
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15 9:29 PM
      I have created a website honoring the men of the 3rd Indiana Cavalry
      (45th Indiana Volunteer) Regiment at
      http://www.geocities.com/third_indiana_cavalry/

      This regiment was unique in that it never fought as a complete
      regiment. Six companies were formed and sent east. Four additional
      companies were formed shortly thereafter but sent to the west.
      Later, two more companies were formed and after a year of provost
      duty within Indiana, were sent to the west and joined the other
      four. The original ten companies were mustered out at the end of
      their 3 year term of service. The 2 remaining companies served until
      the end of the war. Official records would indicate that the
      regiment was disbanded and the remaining troopers assigned the the
      8th Indiana Cavalry. Reports of that unit indicate that the 3rd
      remained intact but fought under the command of the 8th's colonel.
      This unit fought in many of the major campaigns in the west including
      Stones River, Chickamauga, North Georgia, Atlanta, March to the Sea,
      and the Carolinas Campaign.

      My site contains detailed rosters of each company taken from the
      Indiana Adjutant General's Report. I hope that someone here can find
      some useful information there. I will be adding information to the
      site as it becomes available and time permits.