RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Who would have been the best choice for commander in the West?

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 12, 2004
      Ok.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: William H Keene [mailto:wh_keene@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 6:15 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Who would have been the best choice for
      commander in the West?

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
      > Will,
      > I just have to say that I am aware that Bragg did not command the army
      > at Shiloh. Again you missed the point. It was the same army that
      fought
      > in all those places you mentioned and Bragg was either in partial or
      > full command. I could have used Cheatham or Cleburne or a number or
      > other names just as easy. The point is that it was one army covering
      way
      > too much territory. While the Union had Grant toward the west and
      > Rosecrans, among others, in the center.

      At the time of Shiloh, the Union had Grant and Buell coming together in
      one place. Toss in
      Pope during the move on Corinth and the Union was as concetrated in a
      single army as
      the Confederates. The Confederates also had Kirby-Smith with a small
      force covering
      East Tennessee, includign Chattanooga, at the time of Shiloh.

      Later when the Union had Grant in the western part of Tennessee and
      Buell in the center,
      the Confederates had Bragg and Smith operating together against Buell
      while Van Dorn
      and Price were operating in Mississippi against Grant. Then it was
      Rosecrans against
      Bragg and Grant against Pemberton.

      So my point is that there wasn't just this one Confederate army
      shuttling back and forth.
      Multiple armies were formed, split, united, moved, etc.

      -Will

      Yahoo! Groups Links