Henry & Donelson

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004

      I just finished Cooling’s gook on Henry and Donelson (I notice he is a lot tougher on Buckner than is pop history) and am starting the Gott book.

      Any comments on the relative merits of the two books?

      Harry

    • b_schulte70
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
        Cooling's book came first, and is generally (I think?) considered the
        more "standard" view of the campaign, although it has been quite some
        time since I read it. Gott has more of a revisionist view in that he
        places the blame sqaurely on the shoulders of Johnston and Buckner.
        Pillow and Floyd, the common scapegoats, get held in higher regard.
        One thing to note is that Gott's book contains chapter titles which
        are very similar to Cooling's. Some of the phrases he uses in the
        book are similar as well. Cooling appears to have been a major
        influence on Gott, maybe too much of one in some places. When you
        finish, I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

        Brett S.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
        wrote:
        > I just finished Cooling's gook on Henry and Donelson (I notice he
        is a lot
        > tougher on Buckner than is pop history) and am starting the Gott
        book.

        > Any comments on the relative merits of the two books?
        >

        > Harry
      • b_schulte70
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
          I almost forgot. If you are interested, I have a mildly lengthy
          summary at review at:

          http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/FtHenFtDonGott.doc

          Brett S.
        • SDE80@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2004
            In a message dated 11/10/2004 2:04:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, brettschulte@... writes:

            One thing to note is that Gott's book contains chapter titles which
            are very similar to Cooling's.  Some of the phrases he uses in the
            book are similar as well.  Cooling appears to have been a major
            influence on Gott, maybe too much of one in some places.  When you
            finish, I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

            Without reading Gott's book, I have heard that as well.

            Sam Elliott