Re: Cleburnes shot at Corp CO [was : Who would have been the b...

  • Theodore P. Savas
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2004
      I think the best assessment of this issue (still) of Confederate
      command options in the west was in a book I had the pleasure of
      editing eleven years ago, an essay written by Steven Woodworth
      entitled "A Reassessment of Confederate Command Optons during the
      Winter of 1863-1864," in "The Campaign for Atlanta & Sherman's March
      to the Sea," vol. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993), vol. 1, pp. 1-22. It
      is long out of print so I am not shilling to sell it, but if you
      want to read about the Atlanta Campaign, I think you will find it of
      interest.

      Ted Savas
      www.savasbeatie.com

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 11/10/2004 7:14:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > carlw4514@y... writes:
      >
      > > Unless I am very much mistaken, Cleburne got a shot at Corp
      Commander,
      > > with disappointing results, in one of the last battles for
      Atlanta. I
      > > would have liked to see how he would have improved, however he
      never
      > > got another chance.
      > > Will look up the reference for this if no one concurs that this
      happened.

      > At Jonesboro. Hood detatched Hardee and Lee's Corps under Hardee
      to meet
      > the US threat to the RR there. Hardee assumed command and let
      Cleburne direct
      > his corps. The results were indeed unfavorable. A temporary
      expedient, not
      > unlike John C. Breckinridge (a MG) commanding a corps at
      Chattanooga after DH