Re: [civilwarwest] Grant's view of Joe Johnston

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 9, 2004
      In a message dated 11/9/2004 11:55:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, billgower@... writes:

      .   So I guess my question is, has Johnston not been given a fair shake by historians and are there any that portray Johnston in a more favorable light?

      Bill,

      Only two books off the top of my head were really pro Johnston.  Just read Steven Newton's book on Johnston and his defense on the Peninsula in 1862, and that did bring some points to light here that I do agree with.  Very quick read of a book as well, and good argument for Johnston IMHO.

      The other, which I have not read, and which for some reason is hard to find, is Craig Symond's bio. of Johnston that came out in 1992.  Took forever here to find a a hardback edition fo the book at a decent price, and just got that copy in the mail, and have yet to read it...

      Am sure the good General who posts in here, will be able to help more on this subject. :)

      Hope all is well.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • Dave Smith
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 12, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 11/11/2004 6:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > illiniillinois@y... writes:
        > I agree. And don't forget there was Lee's comment that McClellan
        was
        > the best general he had ever faced. I think Grant was playing a
        > little tit for tat.
        > =====
        >
        > Except that alleged Lee's comment about McClellan did not come to
        > light until after Grant was dead.

        And was made in private conversation, and reported after Lee's death.

        Funny how so little of those treasured conversations were documented
        while Lee was alive ... :-)

        Dave