Re: Grant's view of Joe Johnston

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 9, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower" <billgower@c...>
      wrote:
      > ... So I guess my question is, has Johnston not been given a
      > fair shake by historians and are there any that portray Johnston in
      a more
      > favorable light?

      Yes, and I think Steve Newton has portrayed him more favorably
      in "Joseph E. Johnston and the Defense of Richmond".
    • Dave Smith
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 12, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 11/11/2004 6:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > illiniillinois@y... writes:
        > I agree. And don't forget there was Lee's comment that McClellan
        was
        > the best general he had ever faced. I think Grant was playing a
        > little tit for tat.
        > =====
        >
        > Except that alleged Lee's comment about McClellan did not come to
        > light until after Grant was dead.

        And was made in private conversation, and reported after Lee's death.

        Funny how so little of those treasured conversations were documented
        while Lee was alive ... :-)

        Dave