Grant's view of Joe Johnston

  • William Gower
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 9, 2004

      I was reading Brook Simpson’s essay in “The Myth of the Lost Cause” and it is interesting that Grant says that of all the Confederate Commanders that he faced “Joe Johnston gave me more anxiety than any others”

      “Take it all in all, the South, in my opinion, had no better soldier than Joe Johnston – none at least that gave me more trouble.”

      Of Lee he said, “I never could see in his achievements what justifies his reputation”

      I find this very interesting because there are those that would consider J. Johnston to be a “retreating” defensive general and not much of a fighter compared to Lee.   So I guess my question is, has Johnston not been given a fair shake by historians and are there any that portray Johnston in a more favorable light?

    • Dave Smith
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 12, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 11/11/2004 6:38:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > illiniillinois@y... writes:
        > I agree. And don't forget there was Lee's comment that McClellan
        was
        > the best general he had ever faced. I think Grant was playing a
        > little tit for tat.
        > =====
        >
        > Except that alleged Lee's comment about McClellan did not come to
        > light until after Grant was dead.

        And was made in private conversation, and reported after Lee's death.

        Funny how so little of those treasured conversations were documented
        while Lee was alive ... :-)

        Dave