Re: New Books/Projects

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      Speaking of new books, I was in my local Borders bookstore yesterday
      and they had a copy of Michael Ballard's 'Vicksburg'. I browsed
      it and was hugely disappointed. There may be some value to this
      book, but I was too distracted by its flaws. It seemed like I could
      flip it open at random and see something that was questionable, if
      not just plain wrong. As a quick example, he states that Buell's
      victory at Mill Springs led Johnston to decide to evacuate Columbus,
      Kentucky. Most people refer to Mill Springs as Thomas's victory,
      since he was the one commanding in the battle. Furthermore, the
      order to evacuate Columbus was given by the war department on the
      advice of Beauregard and it was done in reaction to the loss of Forts
      Henry and Donelson. The paragraph in which Ballard makes this
      assertion has endote. The endnote cites some pages in the Official
      Records. From the best I can tell, the pages cited have nothing to
      do with the claim he makes.

      -Will

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "virginia_cajun"