New Books/Projects

  • virginia_cajun
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      Last week I learned that Steve Woodworth has submitted his
      manuscript on the Army of the Tennessee to a publisher but was
      unable to learn the identity of the publisher. Larry Daniel is now
      working on a book about Chickamauga.

      Art Bergeron
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
        In a message dated 11/8/2004 8:24:42 AM Central Standard Time, virginia_cajun@... writes:

        Last week I learned that Steve Woodworth has submitted his
        manuscript on the Army of the Tennessee to a publisher but was
        unable to learn the identity of the publisher. Larry Daniel is now
        working on a book about Chickamauga.

        Art Bergeron

        And I have been helping Larry with maps and research on Chickamauga. Looks good so far, but Larry has taken on a great deal more professional responsibility lately, and that eats up a lot of time. This will not be a rapid project.

        Dave Powell
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
          Speaking of new books, I was in my local Borders bookstore yesterday
          and they had a copy of Michael Ballard's 'Vicksburg'. I browsed
          it and was hugely disappointed. There may be some value to this
          book, but I was too distracted by its flaws. It seemed like I could
          flip it open at random and see something that was questionable, if
          not just plain wrong. As a quick example, he states that Buell's
          victory at Mill Springs led Johnston to decide to evacuate Columbus,
          Kentucky. Most people refer to Mill Springs as Thomas's victory,
          since he was the one commanding in the battle. Furthermore, the
          order to evacuate Columbus was given by the war department on the
          advice of Beauregard and it was done in reaction to the loss of Forts
          Henry and Donelson. The paragraph in which Ballard makes this
          assertion has endote. The endnote cites some pages in the Official
          Records. From the best I can tell, the pages cited have nothing to
          do with the claim he makes.

          -Will

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "virginia_cajun"