Re: Civil War Magazines

  • Nico
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
      Hi,
      In my opinion North and South and American`s Civil War are the best one :-).
      I`ve found there many interesting facts that were shortly described in
      books.
      best,
      Mikolaj Lenczewski
    • b_schulte70
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Rick Moody <r_moody@y...> wrote:
        > I've been a subscriber to Blue and Gray for a few
        > years, what is your favorite magazine and why? Don't
        > be shy, tell me why!
        >
        > =====
        > Rick Moodyr_moody@y...

        I subscribe to North & South, America's Civil War, and Civil War
        Times Illustrated, and I also pick up Blue and Gray periodically from
        the bookstore when the topic is of interest to me.

        Out of these four, North & South is by far the best I've read. Their
        maps are gorgeous and informative, the topics are sometimes
        controversial and the articles never fail to interest me. Other
        pluses include the inclusion of OOBs (in the articles on tactical
        engagments) and footnotes. The footnotes impress me the most. I
        will not buy a non-diary, non-firts person book on the Civil War if
        it doesn't have footnotes. Why should magazine articles be any
        different? They shouldn't, and N&S delivers.

        With that said, Blue and Gray is my second-favorite. The tours have
        come in useful on more than one occasion, and the articles are
        informative and good reads. The last two, CWTI and ACW are okay, but
        they are more in a "popular history" type of format. The maps aren't
        great, and OOBs might be included if you're lucky. I still enjoy
        reading them, but they are not on the same level as B&G and N&S.

        Brett
      • b_schulte70
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
          One thing I forgot to mention is that CWTI and ACW are both published
          by (I think?) Cowles Media Group. They have been slowly getting more
          and more similar over the years. I almost wish they would fold one
          and merge them into a new and improved CWTI.

          Brett