Re: [civilwarwest] Civil War Magazines

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
      Well, I enjoy North and South a lot, some really good articles in there, however America's Civil War has really been improving over the past few years.  I have every issue of Blue and Gray, its a great magazine, but depending on your interest, it can vary from issue to issue.

      Lee
    • Nico
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
        Hi,
        In my opinion North and South and American`s Civil War are the best one :-).
        I`ve found there many interesting facts that were shortly described in
        books.
        best,
        Mikolaj Lenczewski
      • b_schulte70
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Rick Moody <r_moody@y...> wrote:
          > I've been a subscriber to Blue and Gray for a few
          > years, what is your favorite magazine and why? Don't
          > be shy, tell me why!
          >
          > =====
          > Rick Moodyr_moody@y...

          I subscribe to North & South, America's Civil War, and Civil War
          Times Illustrated, and I also pick up Blue and Gray periodically from
          the bookstore when the topic is of interest to me.

          Out of these four, North & South is by far the best I've read. Their
          maps are gorgeous and informative, the topics are sometimes
          controversial and the articles never fail to interest me. Other
          pluses include the inclusion of OOBs (in the articles on tactical
          engagments) and footnotes. The footnotes impress me the most. I
          will not buy a non-diary, non-firts person book on the Civil War if
          it doesn't have footnotes. Why should magazine articles be any
          different? They shouldn't, and N&S delivers.

          With that said, Blue and Gray is my second-favorite. The tours have
          come in useful on more than one occasion, and the articles are
          informative and good reads. The last two, CWTI and ACW are okay, but
          they are more in a "popular history" type of format. The maps aren't
          great, and OOBs might be included if you're lucky. I still enjoy
          reading them, but they are not on the same level as B&G and N&S.

          Brett
        • b_schulte70
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
            One thing I forgot to mention is that CWTI and ACW are both published
            by (I think?) Cowles Media Group. They have been slowly getting more
            and more similar over the years. I almost wish they would fold one
            and merge them into a new and improved CWTI.

            Brett