Re: Civil War Magazines

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
      My favorite is North & South becuase I feel their articles are well written, they choice topics
      I'm interested in, and their maps are cool. I also like Blue & Gray but not as much.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Rick Moody <r_moody@y...> wrote:
      > I've been a subscriber to Blue and Gray for a few
      > years, what is your favorite magazine and why? Don't
      > be shy, tell me why!
      >
      > =====
      > Rick Moodyr_moody@y... Robert E. Lee, C.S.A., in conversation with one who had
      defamed Grant:"Sir, if you ever again presume to speak disrespectfully of General Grant in
      my presence, either you or I will sever his connection with this University.""Let your secret
      sympathies and your compassion be always with the underdog in the fight -- this is
      magnanimity; but bet on the other one -- this is business."- Mark Twain

    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
        Well, I enjoy North and South a lot, some really good articles in there, however America's Civil War has really been improving over the past few years.  I have every issue of Blue and Gray, its a great magazine, but depending on your interest, it can vary from issue to issue.

        Lee
      • Nico
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
          Hi,
          In my opinion North and South and American`s Civil War are the best one :-).
          I`ve found there many interesting facts that were shortly described in
          books.
          best,
          Mikolaj Lenczewski
        • b_schulte70
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Rick Moody <r_moody@y...> wrote:
            > I've been a subscriber to Blue and Gray for a few
            > years, what is your favorite magazine and why? Don't
            > be shy, tell me why!
            >
            > =====
            > Rick Moodyr_moody@y...

            I subscribe to North & South, America's Civil War, and Civil War
            Times Illustrated, and I also pick up Blue and Gray periodically from
            the bookstore when the topic is of interest to me.

            Out of these four, North & South is by far the best I've read. Their
            maps are gorgeous and informative, the topics are sometimes
            controversial and the articles never fail to interest me. Other
            pluses include the inclusion of OOBs (in the articles on tactical
            engagments) and footnotes. The footnotes impress me the most. I
            will not buy a non-diary, non-firts person book on the Civil War if
            it doesn't have footnotes. Why should magazine articles be any
            different? They shouldn't, and N&S delivers.

            With that said, Blue and Gray is my second-favorite. The tours have
            come in useful on more than one occasion, and the articles are
            informative and good reads. The last two, CWTI and ACW are okay, but
            they are more in a "popular history" type of format. The maps aren't
            great, and OOBs might be included if you're lucky. I still enjoy
            reading them, but they are not on the same level as B&G and N&S.

            Brett
          • b_schulte70
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
              One thing I forgot to mention is that CWTI and ACW are both published
              by (I think?) Cowles Media Group. They have been slowly getting more
              and more similar over the years. I almost wish they would fold one
              and merge them into a new and improved CWTI.

              Brett