RE: [civilwarwest] A.S. Johnston and the U.S. Army

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

      It would be interesting to find that out.  The standard story goes that Montgomery Blair talked to Lee as part of a feeling out process.  However, it is highly doubtful that anyone seriously considered Lee, a colonel with limited field command experience and a Virginian to boot, for command of all US forces.  I find it more likely that he may have been considered for command of the defenses of DC, perhaps senior to Stone, or even to take charge of the volunteers arriving in the city from an organizational standpoint.

      This is OT for the group, though.

      Harry