A.S. Johnston and the U.S. Army

  • William Gower
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

      Larry Daniels in his book on Shiloh says that after Lee turned down the offer to command the U.S. Army in 1861, it was offered to Johnston next and he turned it down.  Is there any truth to that?

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

        I’m not sure there is any truth to the story that Lee was “offered command of the U. S. Army in 1861”.

        Harry

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

          Where and who first started that story?

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

            It would be interesting to find that out.  The standard story goes that Montgomery Blair talked to Lee as part of a feeling out process.  However, it is highly doubtful that anyone seriously considered Lee, a colonel with limited field command experience and a Virginian to boot, for command of all US forces.  I find it more likely that he may have been considered for command of the defenses of DC, perhaps senior to Stone, or even to take charge of the volunteers arriving in the city from an organizational standpoint.

            This is OT for the group, though.

            Harry