Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Who am I?

  • Paul Liu
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004

      Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?

      >From: Jfepperson@...
      >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Who am I?
      >Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:34:02 -0500
      >
      >In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:
      >

      > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
      > >would make it tooo easy ;)
      >
      >Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
      >Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
      >and even fewer were killed.
      >
      >JFE

      Open your e-mail without having to worry about viruses with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
        In a message dated 11/4/2004 9:49:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, stupid1961@... writes:
        Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?
        John Gregg

        JFE
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Liu" <stupid1961@h...>
          wrote:

          "John Gregg was born in Lawrence County, Alabama, on September 28,
          1828. He graduated from La Grange College and studied law in
          Tuscumbia. After moving to Fairfield, Texas, he was elected a
          district judge, and was a member of the state secession convention.

          Gregg served on the Provisional Confederate Congress until after the
          First Battle of Bull Run in July of 1861.

          He returned to Texas, and joined the state Confederate forces. The
          regiment was captured in the surrender of Fort Donelson, but Gregg
          was promoted to brigadier general on August 29, 1862, after he was
          exchanged.

          He participated in the Vicksburg Campaign, and was part of the
          Confederate victory at Chickamauga. Gregg was seriously wounded at
          Chickamauga, but recovered and took command of Lt. Gen. John B.
          Hood's Texas Brigade. Gregg led the Hood's Texas Brigade at the
          Battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
          He was also active in the Petersburg Campaign.

          Gregg was killed on October 7, 1864, while he was leading a
          counterattack on the Darbytown Road. He was buried in Aberdeen,
          Mississippi." - http://www.multied.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSAGregg.html

          HankC