Re: Who am I?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at
      Fort
      > > Donelson.
      > >
      > > Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.
      > >
      > > Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.
      > >
      > > Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October
      > 1864.
      > >
      > > Who am I?
      >
      > Thanks for the fun puzzle, Mr Gregg.

      I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
      would make it tooo easy ;)
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:

        >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
        >would make it tooo easy ;)

        Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
        Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
        and even fewer were killed.

        JFE
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174"
          <clarkc@m...> writes:

          > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
          > >would make it tooo easy ;)
          >
          > Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
          > Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
          > and even fewer were killed.
          >
          > JFE

          Since this is a western theater group, I found the giveways to be Texas-Donelson-
          Raymond-Chickamauga.
        • Paul Liu
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004

            Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?

            >From: Jfepperson@...
            >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Who am I?
            >Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:34:02 -0500
            >
            >In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:
            >

            > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
            > >would make it tooo easy ;)
            >
            >Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
            >Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
            >and even fewer were killed.
            >
            >JFE

            Open your e-mail without having to worry about viruses with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*
          • Jfepperson@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
              In a message dated 11/4/2004 9:49:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, stupid1961@... writes:
              Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?
              John Gregg

              JFE
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Liu" <stupid1961@h...>
                wrote:

                "John Gregg was born in Lawrence County, Alabama, on September 28,
                1828. He graduated from La Grange College and studied law in
                Tuscumbia. After moving to Fairfield, Texas, he was elected a
                district judge, and was a member of the state secession convention.

                Gregg served on the Provisional Confederate Congress until after the
                First Battle of Bull Run in July of 1861.

                He returned to Texas, and joined the state Confederate forces. The
                regiment was captured in the surrender of Fort Donelson, but Gregg
                was promoted to brigadier general on August 29, 1862, after he was
                exchanged.

                He participated in the Vicksburg Campaign, and was part of the
                Confederate victory at Chickamauga. Gregg was seriously wounded at
                Chickamauga, but recovered and took command of Lt. Gen. John B.
                Hood's Texas Brigade. Gregg led the Hood's Texas Brigade at the
                Battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
                He was also active in the Petersburg Campaign.

                Gregg was killed on October 7, 1864, while he was leading a
                counterattack on the Darbytown Road. He was buried in Aberdeen,
                Mississippi." - http://www.multied.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSAGregg.html

                HankC