Re: Who am I?

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

      > I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at Fort
      > Donelson.
      >
      > Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.
      >
      > Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.
      >
      > Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October
      1864.

      > Who am I?

      Thanks for the fun puzzle, Mr Gregg.
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
        > >

        > > I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at
        Fort
        > > Donelson.
        > >
        > > Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.
        > >
        > > Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.
        > >
        > > Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October
        > 1864.
        > >
        > > Who am I?
        >
        > Thanks for the fun puzzle, Mr Gregg.

        I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
        would make it tooo easy ;)
      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:

          >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
          >would make it tooo easy ;)

          Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
          Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
          and even fewer were killed.

          JFE
        • William H Keene
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174"
            <clarkc@m...> writes:

            > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
            > >would make it tooo easy ;)
            >
            > Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
            > Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
            > and even fewer were killed.
            >
            > JFE

            Since this is a western theater group, I found the giveways to be Texas-Donelson-
            Raymond-Chickamauga.
          • Paul Liu
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004

              Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?

              >From: Jfepperson@...
              >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Who am I?
              >Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:34:02 -0500
              >
              >In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:
              >

              > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
              > >would make it tooo easy ;)
              >
              >Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
              >Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
              >and even fewer were killed.
              >
              >JFE

              Open your e-mail without having to worry about viruses with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*
            • Jfepperson@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                In a message dated 11/4/2004 9:49:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, stupid1961@... writes:
                Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?
                John Gregg

                JFE
              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Liu" <stupid1961@h...>
                  wrote:

                  "John Gregg was born in Lawrence County, Alabama, on September 28,
                  1828. He graduated from La Grange College and studied law in
                  Tuscumbia. After moving to Fairfield, Texas, he was elected a
                  district judge, and was a member of the state secession convention.

                  Gregg served on the Provisional Confederate Congress until after the
                  First Battle of Bull Run in July of 1861.

                  He returned to Texas, and joined the state Confederate forces. The
                  regiment was captured in the surrender of Fort Donelson, but Gregg
                  was promoted to brigadier general on August 29, 1862, after he was
                  exchanged.

                  He participated in the Vicksburg Campaign, and was part of the
                  Confederate victory at Chickamauga. Gregg was seriously wounded at
                  Chickamauga, but recovered and took command of Lt. Gen. John B.
                  Hood's Texas Brigade. Gregg led the Hood's Texas Brigade at the
                  Battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
                  He was also active in the Petersburg Campaign.

                  Gregg was killed on October 7, 1864, while he was leading a
                  counterattack on the Darbytown Road. He was buried in Aberdeen,
                  Mississippi." - http://www.multied.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSAGregg.html

                  HankC