Who am I?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at Fort
      Donelson.

      Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.

      Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.

      Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October 1864.

      Who am I?
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

        > I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at Fort
        > Donelson.
        >
        > Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.
        >
        > Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.
        >
        > Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October
        1864.

        > Who am I?

        Thanks for the fun puzzle, Mr Gregg.
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I raised a regiment of CSA Texas Infantry and was captured at
          Fort
          > > Donelson.
          > >
          > > Exchanged, I attacked Logan's forces at the battle of Raymond.
          > >
          > > Transferred to the AoT, I was seriously wounded at Chickamauga.
          > >
          > > Moving to the ANV, I was killed in front of Richmond in October
          > 1864.
          > >
          > > Who am I?
          >
          > Thanks for the fun puzzle, Mr Gregg.

          I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
          would make it tooo easy ;)
        • Jfepperson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:

            >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
            >would make it tooo easy ;)

            Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
            Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
            and even fewer were killed.

            JFE
          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174"
              <clarkc@m...> writes:

              > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
              > >would make it tooo easy ;)
              >
              > Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
              > Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
              > and even fewer were killed.
              >
              > JFE

              Since this is a western theater group, I found the giveways to be Texas-Donelson-
              Raymond-Chickamauga.
            • Paul Liu
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004

                Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?

                >From: Jfepperson@...
                >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Who am I?
                >Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:34:02 -0500
                >
                >In a message dated 11/4/2004 1:36:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> writes:
                >

                > >I left out the Wilderness 'Lee to the rear' episode figuring that
                > >would make it tooo easy ;)
                >
                >Actually, the giveaway was being killed in front of Richmond.
                >Very few officers started in the west and then moved east,
                >and even fewer were killed.
                >
                >JFE

                Open your e-mail without having to worry about viruses with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*
              • Jfepperson@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/4/2004 9:49:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, stupid1961@... writes:
                  Maybe I missread some of the emails or maybe I didn't get the email with the answer on it. But who was it?
                  John Gregg

                  JFE
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Liu" <stupid1961@h...>
                    wrote:

                    "John Gregg was born in Lawrence County, Alabama, on September 28,
                    1828. He graduated from La Grange College and studied law in
                    Tuscumbia. After moving to Fairfield, Texas, he was elected a
                    district judge, and was a member of the state secession convention.

                    Gregg served on the Provisional Confederate Congress until after the
                    First Battle of Bull Run in July of 1861.

                    He returned to Texas, and joined the state Confederate forces. The
                    regiment was captured in the surrender of Fort Donelson, but Gregg
                    was promoted to brigadier general on August 29, 1862, after he was
                    exchanged.

                    He participated in the Vicksburg Campaign, and was part of the
                    Confederate victory at Chickamauga. Gregg was seriously wounded at
                    Chickamauga, but recovered and took command of Lt. Gen. John B.
                    Hood's Texas Brigade. Gregg led the Hood's Texas Brigade at the
                    Battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
                    He was also active in the Petersburg Campaign.

                    Gregg was killed on October 7, 1864, while he was leading a
                    counterattack on the Darbytown Road. He was buried in Aberdeen,
                    Mississippi." - http://www.multied.com/Bio/CWcGENS/CSAGregg.html

                    HankC