Re: Fremont Considered

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2004
      Stephen, BLOODY HILL by Brooksher and STONEWALL IN THE VALLEY by
      Tanner are two books that covered Fremont well enough for me to get an
      idea about him. Other books may be better. Fremont in Missouri is
      maybe a bit of a cypher, you get to see a little more of the man, as
      commander anyway, in actions in the East. My impressions were that he
      was a dud on the tactical level and way over his head on the strategic
      level. IIRC at the battle of Cross Keys, for example, he blew a 2 to 1
      advantage facing Ewell; perhaps he did better at some other time, been
      a while since I read that book. Bottom line, though, is that Jackson
      succeeded in part because Fremont did not fully utilize what he had.

      Carl