Re: Halleck and Grant

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 21, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
      wrote:

      > Nothing but his own writings, his voluminous letters
      > to his freinds in Washington, and the nature of his
      > communications as in the OR.
      >
      > Why? What else would you want?

      I want some actual evidence for this assertion. We are talking
      about McClernand at the time of Shiloh, so anything after that is
      irrelevant.

      Although I don't have Kiper's biography on hand, his dissertation
      doesn't indicate that there is any basis for your assertion.
      McClernand had asked Lincoln for an independent command "in an
      active and contested field" (Page 187). That is not, however,
      evidence that "McClernand spent much of his time trying to figure
      out how to unseat Grant."

      In fact, Kiper's information indicates that the opposite was true.
      On Pages 176-7, he noted that McClernand, 2 brigade commanders, and
      8 staff members sent a letter of support to Grant
      expressing "gratitude and respect," at the time of his problems with
      Halleck (March 9th); moreover, McClernand apparently wanted Grant to
      return to command, and Kiper quoted him: "I hope soon to see you
      with us."

      In light of that, what specific citations do you have for your
      assertion, and not just for McClernand's trying to figure out how to
      unseat Grant, but that he spent *much of his time* doing it.

      Joseph
    • josepharose
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 21, 2004