Re: Champion Hill observation

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > This geologic feature also played a part later
      > on in the battle. As McClernand began to deploy
      > into line, he placed two regiments north of the
      > middle road on a gentle ridge to the west of
      > this gulley. Since the gulley runs diagonally
      > north-by-northwest, the northernmost regiment
      > would have had its back to this 50 foot vertical
      > drop-off.

      Actually, I need to correct this. I walked around
      this geographic feature again today, and decided that
      it is not that pronounced on the cornfield side, so it
      shouldn't have played any part in routing McClernand's
      regiments north of the middle road. However, I did
      notice something interesting. The creek that forms as
      a result of this feature runs north for a while, then
      cuts east and runs along the southern edge of the
      furthest position attained during Bowen's counter-
      attack. Supposedly, Bowen's troops wavered under the
      intense artillery barrage, and many took refuge in a
      "ravine," which was probably this creek. If these
      troops withdrew back up the hill on the southern side
      of this creek, that would mean that their path would
      take them directly into the east side of the cornfield,
      and into the rear of McClernand's right.

      So it seems possible that the commander who reported that
      elements of Scott's regiment gained his rear was actually
      under attack from Scott's regiment and elements of Bowen's
      Division withdrawing from the field below.