Confederate strategy in the West

  • William Gower
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2004

      I started reading “Army of the Heartland” and from Connelly’s description of the area, it appears that the majority of the food production and the coal production and the munitions production were located in the area of Tennessee, Northern MS and Northern AL.  I realize Davis’ preoccupation with the East and Richmond and that seems to get most of his attention, but you would think that if Davis was as good a “military officer” as he thought that he was he would have done more to protect this vital area.  It would seem to me that the loss of this area would hurt the South’s war effort.  I realize that he thought that with AS Johnston in command that it was taken care of and he didn’t have to worry but Lee was a much better general than Johnston and Davis still worried about the war in the East.