Offered without comment

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
      It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's position through the
      woods to the top of Champion Hill using a compass.
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
        <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:

        > It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's
        > position through the woods to the top of Champion
        > Hill using a compass.

        Actually, looking at the map again, I took off from McClernand's
        skirmish line north of the middle road. McClernand's position was
        probably another couple hundred yards beyond.

        Still seems inconceivable that McClernand wouldn't have heard the
        explosions, clatter of hand-to-hand combat, battle cries, and cheers
        of 30,000 men a mere half mile away. How could he have not known
        that a general engagement was already afoot?
      • James2044
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2004
          <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:

          > It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's position through
          the
          > woods to the top of Champion Hill using a compass.

          You knew where to go, did he?
        • virginia_cajun
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2004
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James2044" <james2044@h...>
            wrote:

            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
            > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's position through
            > the
            > > woods to the top of Champion Hill using a compass.
            >
            > You knew where to go, did he?

            Move to the sound of the guns! He had to have heard them.
          • James2044
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "virginia_cajun"
              <virginia_cajun@y...> wrote:

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James2044" <james2044@h...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
              > > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's position
              through
              > > the
              > > > woods to the top of Champion Hill using a compass.
              > >
              > > You knew where to go, did he?
              >
              > Move to the sound of the guns! He had to have heard them.

              I'm not a great supporter of McClernand but he did have orders to
              follow. The correct thing would have been to push forward on his
              road.

              James2044
            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2004
                Yes, and perhaps a little communication with his commander would have
                been nice on McClernand's part.

                > > > It took me 12 minutes to walk from McClernand's position
                through
                > > the
                > > > woods to the top of Champion Hill using a compass.
                > >
                > > You knew where to go, did he?
                >
                > Move to the sound of the guns! He had to have heard them.

                I'm not a great supporter of McClernand but he did have orders to
                follow. The correct thing would have been to push forward on his
                road.

                James2044

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Theodore P. Savas
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
                  > Yes, and perhaps a little communication with his commander would
                  have
                  > been nice on McClernand's part.

                  If fear nothing is as easy as hindsight suggests. Smith's "Champion
                  Hill," pages 287-290, references (though does not seem to drive home
                  as pointedly as some would wish) McClernand's actions and discusses
                  some of the things he faced as the battle unfolded. This section
                  should be read in conjunction with other parts of the book for a
                  more complete picture.