RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Question on Grant

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004
      Here's the whole passage, from Chapter 35 of the Library of America edition:

      "When the news reached me of McPherson's victory at Raymond about sundown my
      position was with Sherman. I decided at once to turn the whole column
      towards Jackson and capture that place without delay.

      Pemberton was now on my left, with, as I supposed, about 18,000 men; in
      fact, as I learned afterwards, with nearly 50,000. A force was also
      collecting on my right, at Jackson, the point where all the railroads
      communicating with Vicksburg connect. All the enemy's supplies of men and
      stores would come by that point. As I hoped in the end to besiege Vicksburg
      I must first destroy all possibility of aid. I therefore determined to move
      swiftly towards Jackson, destroy or drive any force in that direction and
      then turn upon Pemberton."

      Harry