Re: Champion Hill

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 49 , Oct 4, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@p...>
      wrote:

> [...]

      Champion Hill: Decisive Battle for Vicksburg, I believe, is the first
      book to focus on that (arguably) most important of western battles.
      The level of detail describing the actions taken by the various
      regiments and individual batteries involved is outstanding. He seems
      to be awfully forgiving of McClernand and Loring, and very critical
      of Pemberton and even McPherson, who was surely the hero of Champion
      Hill.

      The criticism of McPherson at Raymond completely baffles me.
      McPherson arrived at a clearing, with skirmishers firing from the
      woods in the distance, and a single battery of artillery on a distant
      hill. That would suggest to McPherson that he was facing a single
      brigade, yet Smith derides McPherson for "attacking piecemeal" for
      ordering an assault after "only" a single division had arrived on the
      field. What???

      Then he appears to write McClernand a blank check for not attacking
      on the middle road at Champion Hill, simply because Grant had ordered
      him to move forward with caution and not bring on a general
      engagement unless confident of success. With shouts and cheers and
      constant firing of cannon and musket less than a mile from
      McClernand's position, shouldn't he have figured out that the
      engagement was already general in nature?
    • William Gower
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 15, 2004

        Has Ed Bearss made any comments or has he given a review on the book, “Champion Hill Decisive Battle for Vicksburg” by Timothy B. Smith?