Re: I need a book on the Army of Tennessee

  • Norris Darrall
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower" <billgower@c...>
      wrote:
      Is there a good
      > book * * * the Army of the Ohio?

      "The Army That Buell Built" by Richard J. Reid (ISBN: 1-877713-05-
      8). It is not a detailed study but a real quick read and cheap.
      Richard was a local Kentucky/Indiana historian who was a font of
      knowledge for that area and published several quick read books about
      local battles (Perryville, Mill Springs, Camp Wildcat). He passed
      away about two or three years ago and a willing source of information
      is missed.

      Norris
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
        Supposedly, Steve Woodworth is working on such a book.  No idea as to when it will be out.  He did edit an essay book on some of its officers, entitled "Grant's Lieutenants."

        In a message dated 10/1/2004 11:03:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@... writes:
        I started reading Daniel’s “Days of Glory”.  I am alternating between it and Connelly’s “Army of the Heartland” and “Autumn of Glory”.  Is there a good book on the Army of the Tennessee similar to these and the Army of the Ohio?  It is amazing to read about Sherman and how he panicked and worked himself up over what he thought were overwhelming rebel forces coming to attack him.  It is quite a different Sherman than the one that rode into Atlanta and then to the Sea.

        Bill,

        CW Historian Gerald J. Prokopowicz had a book out on the Army of Ohio a few years back.  The tile of the book is All For The Regiment: The Army Of The Ohio, 1861-1862.

        Have not read it here, but have heard some fine things about it.
      • virginia_cajun
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
          > Supposedly, Steve Woodworth is working on such a book. No idea as
          to when it
          > will be out.

          Steve is working on this book. I seem to recall him telling me it
          would not be finished until next year.

          Art Bergeron
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
            wrote:
            > I started reading Daniel's "Days of Glory". I am alternating
            between it and
            > Connelly's "Army of the Heartland" and "Autumn of Glory". Is there
            a good
            > book on the Army of the Tennessee similar to these and the Army of
            the Ohio?
            > It is amazing to read about Sherman and how he panicked and worked
            himself
            > up over what he thought were overwhelming rebel forces coming to
            attack him.

            Of which time are you speaking?

            HankC
          • William Gower