I need a book on the Army of Tennessee

  • William Gower
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004

      I started reading Daniel’s “Days of Glory”.  I am alternating between it and Connelly’s “Army of the Heartland” and “Autumn of Glory”.  Is there a good book on the Army of the Tennessee similar to these and the Army of the Ohio?  It is amazing to read about Sherman and how he panicked and worked himself up over what he thought were overwhelming rebel forces coming to attack him.  It is quite a different Sherman than the one that rode into Atlanta and then to the Sea.

    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
        In a message dated 10/1/2004 10:54:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, billgower@... writes:

        I started reading Daniel’s “Days of Glory”.  I am alternating between it and Connelly’s “Army of the Heartland” and “Autumn of Glory”.  Is there a good book on the Army of the Tennessee similar to these and the Army of the Ohio?  It is amazing to read about Sherman and how he panicked and worked himself up over what he thought were overwhelming rebel forces coming to attack him.  It is quite a different Sherman than the one that rode into Atlanta and then to the Sea.

        Bill,

        CW Historian Gerald J. Prokopowicz had a book out on the Army of Ohio a few years back.  The tile of the book is All For The Regiment: The Army Of The Ohio, 1861-1862.

        Have not read it here, but have heard some fine things about it.

        Regards from the Garden State,

        Steve Basic
      • Norris Darrall
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower" <billgower@c...>
          wrote:
          Is there a good
          > book * * * the Army of the Ohio?

          "The Army That Buell Built" by Richard J. Reid (ISBN: 1-877713-05-
          8). It is not a detailed study but a real quick read and cheap.
          Richard was a local Kentucky/Indiana historian who was a font of
          knowledge for that area and published several quick read books about
          local battles (Perryville, Mill Springs, Camp Wildcat). He passed
          away about two or three years ago and a willing source of information
          is missed.

          Norris
        • SDE80@aol.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:
              > Supposedly, Steve Woodworth is working on such a book. No idea as
              to when it
              > will be out.

              Steve is working on this book. I seem to recall him telling me it
              would not be finished until next year.

              Art Bergeron
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
                wrote:
                > I started reading Daniel's "Days of Glory". I am alternating
                between it and
                > Connelly's "Army of the Heartland" and "Autumn of Glory". Is there
                a good
                > book on the Army of the Tennessee similar to these and the Army of
                the Ohio?
                > It is amazing to read about Sherman and how he panicked and worked
                himself
                > up over what he thought were overwhelming rebel forces coming to
                attack him.

                Of which time are you speaking?

                HankC
              • William Gower