Victory at Pea Ridge!

  • tlind1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Just want to share a little experience from last night...went home
      ate dinner and then settled down at the computer with my Civil War
      generals 2 game. The excitement was that I had been able to find the
      battle of Pea Ridge for it.

      The map created for the battle was awesome.. a lot of detail had
      gone into it and was pretty much on target checking it against
      authentic maps..

      Not to bore you to extreme..just let me say I used Van Dorn's tactic
      of getting behind Curtis' Army on the Bentonville-Detour road,
      hindsight being 20/20, I did NOT make McCullough's mistake of
      attacking at Foster's farm. I continued on the BD until it turned
      south onto Telegraph road and deployed my artillery just North of
      the BD on a ridge and waited for Curtis to attack (seeing that I was
      now across his communications line). True to nature the computer
      began to March North through the forrest and under growth towards my
      army and when in range I began to pummel Curtis' lead elements each
      time they advanced with my artillery concentrating all guns on one
      unit at a time. This strategy worked so well because the Union
      forces were unabled to unlimber their artillery throughout almost
      the entire battle being entangled in the forrest and undergrowth.

      My infantry was almost totally untouched except when I advanced them
      upon units that were already weakened by my artillery. I then sent
      McIntosh's cavalry to the right and attacked Curtis from behind.

      It was a major Confederate victory!

      It has been a while since i had played this game and was elated to
      find the battle for it.

      So there are ways to make up for the past...

      Kindest Regards,
      Tracey
      http://aotn.homestead.com
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, tlind1@y... wrote:
        > Just want to share a little experience from last night...went home
        > ate dinner and then settled down at the computer with my Civil War
        > generals 2 game. The excitement was that I had been able to find
        the
        > battle of Pea Ridge for it.

        I have serious problems with CWG and CWG2, due to the way they treat
        artillery, long range rifle fire, and fatigue. Concerning
        artillery... indirect fire??? Are you serious? Ain't no steeking
        indirect fire in the ACW. Ditto with having cannons suddenly firing
        upon you and you not knowing which direction the fire is coming
        from. What the heck! Like, I'm not going to hear the roar of the
        cannon and see the giant puff of smoke in my front? And why do enemy
        cannons do so much damage at long range?

        And what's up with not allowing infantry units to fire at a
        distance? A rifled musket had nearly the same range during the ACW
        as a rifled field cannon. Why do I have to walk right up to the
        opposing unit to attack it????

        And concerning fatigue... there were two types of fatigue, battle
        fatigue and physical fatigue. Many times, units who could not march
        another step would spring to life and drive the enemy from the
        field. On the other hand, some units who were otherwise well rested
        would rout after a particularly intense volley of fire. Why should
        my units become easily routed just because we marched all the way
        around the enemy and appeared out of the woods on their vulnerable
        flank? If anything, the troops would be elated at the sight and
        driven to drive the enemy from the field.
      • tlind1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          Slippy you're just too much! LOL

          Kindest Regards,