Re: RE: [civilwarwest] Weapons at Pea Ridge

  • juldandar@cox.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
      I was reading in Fotte's first book that come of the comfederates were using flint lock rifles at Pea Ridge. It seems to me that they were pretty much behind the times. Does anyone know if it is true that the confederates were using flint locks?

      Raymond R Nikonowicz
    • Ryan Kennedy
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
        I don't have my book in front of me, but from what I recall, some of the
        units were armed with flintlocks that had been converted into percussion
        muskets. Hopefully someone with the book in front of them could confirm or
        refute this information.

        Ryan Kennedy

        >From: <juldandar@...>
        >To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: RE: [civilwarwest] Weapons at Pea Ridge
        >Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:38:51 -0400
        >
        >I was reading in Fotte's first book that come of the comfederates were
        >using flint lock rifles at Pea Ridge. It seems to me that they were pretty
        >much behind the times. Does anyone know if it is true that the
        >confederates were using flint locks?
        >
        >Raymond R Nikonowicz

      • Ricky Washburn
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
          According to the book "first with the most" most all
          of the early western theatre confederate units were
          using the older flintlock rifles, many of the troops
          from KY. for the first two yrs. had nothing better at
          all.

          =====

          .....Eternally.....

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • juldandar@cox.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004

          • juldandar@cox.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
              What book are you reading from.

              > From: "Ryan Kennedy" <rkenn1020@...>
              > Date: 2004/09/30 Thu PM 04:33:32 EDT
              > To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: RE: [civilwarwest] Weapons at Pea Ridge
              >
              > I don't have my book in front of me, but from what I recall, some of the
              > units were armed with flintlocks that had been converted into percussion
              > muskets. Hopefully someone with the book in front of them could confirm or
              > refute this information.
              >
              > Ryan Kennedy
              >

              > >From: <juldandar@...>
              > >To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
              > >Subject: Re: RE: [civilwarwest] Weapons at Pea Ridge
              > >Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:38:51 -0400
              > >
              > >I was reading in Fotte's first book that come of the comfederates were
              > >using flint lock rifles at Pea Ridge. It seems to me that they were pretty
              > >much behind the times. Does anyone know if it is true that the
              > >confederates were using flint locks?
              > >
              > >Raymond R Nikonowicz

            • Bob Huddleston
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                Flintlocks were in plentiful supply in 1861. According to Todd, _American
                Military Equipage, 1851-1872, vol 2, in 1861 about 1 in 20 Arkansas troops
                carried a percussion weapon, the balance flintlocks. However, by early 1862,
                they had all (or almost all) been reequipped with modern rifle muskets.
                Indeed, by Shiloh the Rebels were better armed than the Yankees, thanks to
                plentiful supplies of Enfields. Indeed, as late a mid-1863, many of the
                Union troops were delighted to exchange obsolecesent converted rifle muskets
                for new Enfields surrendered at Vicksburg.

                Take care,

                Bob

                Judy and Bob Huddleston
                10643 Sperry Street
                Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

                > You would think that they all would have had percussion rifles, I mean
                percussion rifles were around for a long time when the civil war started.
                Does anyone know of a central referance for the weapons carried during the
                civil war?
                > From: Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@...>
                > Date: 2004/09/30 Thu PM 05:00:53 EDT
                > To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: RE: [civilwarwest] Weapons at Pea Ridge
                >

                > According to the book "first with the most" most all of the early
                > western theatre confederate units were using the older flintlock
                > rifles, many of the troops from KY. for the first two yrs. had nothing
                > better at all.
                >

                > =====
                >
                > .....Eternally.....

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/GmiolB/TM
              • Tim Campbell
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                     I live only two hours away from pea ridge, and through reashearching there were some flintlocks but most were converted to percussion. On the union side it is shown through my reasearch that almost everyone had a Springfield rifle.

                  Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide!
                • Ryan Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2004
                    IIRC, Shea and Hess' work on Pea Ridge describes the arms of Van Dorn's army
                    in the chapter on the Confederate forces.

                    Ryan Kennedy