Re: Kentucky Neutrality

  • Ray Todd Knight
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William Gower" <billgower@c...>
      wrote:
      > If Polk had not so foolishly invaded Kentucky and broke the
      neutrality of
      > the state, do you think that the Union army would have honored it
      throughout
      > the war? This would have made the defense of Tennessee much easier.

      Just my opinion, but...
      I have very little doubt that the Union Army would not have honored
      Kentucky's neutrality. As far as they were concerned Kentucky stayed
      in the Union so it was Union territory. Kentucky's "right" to remain
      neutral was the same thing that the Confederate states were fighting
      for. Plus even if both sides had honored Kentucky's neutrality,
      neither could have afforded to leave that border unguarded just in
      case the other decided not to at some point.

      Todd