Beauregard

  • Laurence D. Schiller
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
      At 7:55 AM +0000 9/22/04, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >I have to agree with Mark on this. To me Beauregard never really got a
      >fair opportunity to show what he could do. The command structure at
      >Shiloh was a wreck but it was one created by Sid Johnston. Even while
      >alive he was out of touch with his own HQ base. Beauregard had no idea
      >as to his whereabouts nor the army situation upon Johnston's death. But
      >Johnston was a close friend of Davis and Davis needed a fall guy and it
      >sure wasn't going to be Davis' late friend.
      >Tom M.

      I'll agree that B didn't get much of a chance later - his performance
      on the first night of Shiloh was hardly inspiring. Forrest couldn't
      even find him to report Buell's arrival. He let his commanders
      withdraw from forward positions and did nothing to prepare for the
      next day's battle. He showed lethargy and complete lack of initiative
      and managed to let Grant seize the moment. Not exactly a performance
      to write home about.

      Best,

      Laurie Schiller
      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller 19th Century Personalities
      Maitre d'Armes William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
        Laurie,
        I sure can't disagree with that assessment on all accounts. It would
        have been nice to have seen what he could have done if given a real shot
        at command but B really had a mess that first night at Shiloh. Could you
        imagine what was going through Forrest's mind trying and failing to find
        something as elemental as the HQ after what he had experienced in the
        form of "leadership" at Ft. D.?
        Tom m.

        >I have to agree with Mark on this. To me Beauregard never really got a
        >fair opportunity to show what he could do. The command structure at
        >Shiloh was a wreck but it was one created by Sid Johnston. Even while
        >alive he was out of touch with his own HQ base. Beauregard had no idea
        >as to his whereabouts nor the army situation upon Johnston's death. But
        >Johnston was a close friend of Davis and Davis needed a fall guy and it
        >sure wasn't going to be Davis' late friend.
        >Tom M.

        I'll agree that B didn't get much of a chance later - his performance
        on the first night of Shiloh was hardly inspiring. Forrest couldn't
        even find him to report Buell's arrival. He let his commanders
        withdraw from forward positions and did nothing to prepare for the
        next day's battle. He showed lethargy and complete lack of initiative
        and managed to let Grant seize the moment. Not exactly a performance
        to write home about.

        Best,

        Laurie Schiller
        --
        Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller 19th Century Personalities
        Maitre d'Armes William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI
        Head Fencing Coach George Hammitt, Co. H 104th Ill
        Department of History
        Northwestern University
        lds307@...
        847-491-4654 (Athletics)
        847-467-5344 (History)
        FAX 847-467-1406
        Official Sports site: http://nusports.ocsn.com/
        Student web site: http://groups.northwestern.edu/fencing/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Art Bagley
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2004
          Haven't read all that much about "Ol' Borey" but what I remember is
          that he was too grandiose and unrealistic in his planning. His
          orders were overblown with impossible logistical manipulations,
          immense distances to be covered by worn out troops, no contingent
          plans for enemy reactions, and similar criticisms.

          After Shiloh and Corinth [one of B's poor showings] he was very ill;
          at least that's what he said, and he disappeared from his command
          area [can't recall dates or location], and was replaced with Bragg.

          The continually growing and extreme dislike of Beauregard by Jeffn.
          Davis would have precluded any positive outcomes in my estimation,
          no matter what command talent B possessed.

          While he may have done well along the Atlantic coast and in handling
          Ben Butler at Bermuda Hundred, I don't think he'd have been
          satisfactory for the AoT or the western theater.

          Art B.
        • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
            an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
            Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
            thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
            know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
            actually proposed? This has always facinated me....had it gone as
            planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
            Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??

            Thanks,
            Anne
          • DPowell334@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
              In a message dated 1/2/2005 3:53:26 PM Central Standard Time, civilwarlady@... writes:

              Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
              an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
              Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
              thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
              know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
              actually proposed?  This has always facinated me....had it gone as
              planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
              Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??

              Thanks,
              Anne

              Beauregard was a great schemer. This sounds similar to the Stonewall Jackson stuff about cutting the US rail and canal connections in Western PA in one of the invasions of the north that were sometimes discussed.

              I think that these were pipedreams, rather than plans, as they lacked operational details about how to actually acheive such goals.

              There are telegrams from Buearegard to various ACW commanders proposing such movements, but only in the vaguest detail - usually plans are nothing more than 'I will send you 20,000 men, then we defeat Rosecrans, take back Tennessee, and on to Ohio, Huzzah!!' not exactly the meat of detailed planning:)

              The nearest we get to an actual plan is the one Buearegard proposed to Joe Johnston in early July, while Lee was in PA. Beuaregard, commenting on the uselessness of Lee's "raid" suggested to Johnston that troops from his department and Johnston's Army of Relief in Mississippi move quickly to join Bragg, so that the combined CSA army of about 80,000-90,000 men attack and destroy Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland. While not a plan, per se, Beauregard blueprinted the method by which Bragg was eventually reinforced to fight Chickamauga, and provided what proved to be pretty realistic troop estimates.

              Dave Powell
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
                In a message dated 1/2/2005 4:53:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, civilwarlady@... writes:
                Some years back I recall reading that Beauregard had devised
                an "anaconda plan" of his own which was suppose to entail Confederate
                Forces driving up the Ohio River and following the Ohio - PA line
                thru to Lake Erie. Has anyone ever seen any details of this plan or
                know of a source that discusses it at length? Was this plan ever
                actually proposed?  This has always facinated me....had it gone as
                planned, it'd have brought the Rebs right through my area.
                Anyone have any knowledge of this plan??
                Back in my memory cells, it seems that I have heard of this before as well.

                JEJ
              • virginia_cajun
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005

                  Beauregard's plan should be summarized in either Stephen
                  Woodworth's "Davis and His Generals" or Tom Connelly's two-volume
                  history of the Army of the Tennessee.

                  Art Bergeron
                • civilwarlady@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005