Re: [civilwarwest] Re: OFF TOPIC BUT BREAKING NEWS... VERY IMPORTANT...

  • Ricky Washburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      .. I do know that the following thought is dangiling out on thin ice, and i do not mean to start anything that is off topic, but i agree there is an ironicy, for if the war for southern independance were to "start" today in the same manner as it did in April of '61 at Fort Sumpter would not the seceding states be called terrorists?...but i also see it as it was a different time with different circumstances...so it is just a empty thought i am throughing on the table.
         I also deeply and sincerly send my conndolences to the country of Russia and all affected by these Wrongful Tragedies.                                         Richard Washburn

      slippymississippi <slippymississippi@...> wrote:
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Choron"
      <Lord_Jim@m...> wrote:
      [snip]

      I'm probably the only one who sees the irony of a post complaining
      about "Chechen thugs" trying to "steal" territory from Russia on
      a "Civil War" message board.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
        Well, throw that thought back. If regular, not irregular, CSA troops
        performing their duties can be regarded as terrorists, then of course
        it means that George Washington and the others were all terrorists, too.

        Ironically, some acts committed by people with CSA association and
        support could be regarded as terrorist acts, something I view with
        deep regret and hold Davis responsible for [and wonder who else should
        be blamed]. In particular:
        -attempted firebombing of a Vermont town
        -attempted firebombing of 24 New York hotels. Count em, yep, 24!
        -assassination attempts. This last I would like to think was totally
        the acts of people deciding to do what they did on their own, however,
        there is evidence their original organization was CSA supported.
        Carl

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@y...> wrote:
        .. I do know that the following thought is dangiling out on thin ice,
        and i do not mean to start anything that is off topic, but i agree
        there is an ironicy, for if the war for southern independance were to
        "start" today in the same manner as it did in April of '61 at Fort
        Sumpter would not the seceding states be called terrorists?...but i
        also see it as it was a different time with different
        circumstances...so it is just a empty thought i am throughing on the
        table.
      • William Gower
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004

          Although I understand the attempt by officials to bring the nation back together quickly, I do think that there should have been some sort of punishment and retribution on the Southern officials who were treasonous and caused so much death and destruction by their secession.  It is interesting to look at the treatment of people like Benedict Arnold for his treasonous act and then see how lenient the US was towards the South and their treasonous act.  I think that people like Davis and other top officials should have been punished regardless of the hard feelings that would have caused in the South.