Re: American Jewry in the Civil War..

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Choron"
      <Lord_Jim@m...> wrote:
      > Tracy,
      >
      > It's not "racist groups", it's an overall thought process and
      sentiment.
      > While it was not organized, anti-semitism, just like anti-
      catholocism
      > existed and was just under the surface in many places both North
      and South.

      Do you have any support to offer for these statements, besides "go
      buy this $100 book?" :)

      You've certainly piqued my interest, but I'm not sure I'm willing to
      drop a cool hundred on such a book without a few supporting quotes.
      Growing up in Vicksburg was an interesting experience, with Lebanese,
      Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant living side-by-side-by-side. The
      cultural differences were minimal outside the
      synagogue/church/temple... these people fished together, ate
      together, worked together. After all, they all had one thing in
      common: they weren't "the other." That spot was already filled by
      African Americans (and the occasional Yankee). I have done a lot of
      reading of Mississippi newspapers from the 1860's, and the cultural
      dynamics didn't strike me as much different than when I grew up in
      the 1960's.

      > I was not implying that it was organized. Grant was hardly a
      biggot, but his
      > order reflected the mood of the day to a great extent.

      I haven't seen any evidence to support that Grant was not a bigot.
      To the contrary, I think it's easy to prove that he was a bigot in at
      least one regard: career military officers vs. political officers. :)
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 3, 2004
        In  addition, the Ammens lived up on the square in Georgetown and Jake got Grant interested in going to college. And becoming a math professor.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street