Re: [civilwarwest] Re: American Jewry in the Civil War..

  • James L. Choron
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2004
      Tracy,

      I noticed that after I sent the last post.

      You know, the whole story of American Jewery is a fascinating tale, in and
      of itself, extending back to the first settling of the colonies. The thing
      is, the Civil War was America's first war with significant numbers of Jews
      participating on all levels. Because of this, it is a fascinating study.

      As I said in my earlier response, I do not believe that anti-semitism, any
      more than anti-catholocism was an "organized" thing, nor do I believe that
      any single group pushed it, or any combination of groups. I think that it
      was simply present on an individual level. Certainly it increased toward the
      turn of the 19th century, and it was incorporated into "organized" movements
      and groups... likewise anti-catholocism... Like I said, I do not believe
      that Grant's order reflected any particular biggotry on his part. I think it
      was reflective of the times. Similarly, distrust and dislike of J.P.Benjamin
      was not "organized", certainly not in his home state or home district. It
      was, however, undeniably present, precisely because he was a Jew, and this
      is stated in many places.

      I have often thought that the reason Benjamin fled the country at the end of
      the war was due to the fact that he was named as a "conspiritor" along with
      Jefferson Davis, in the plot to assassinate Linclon. While it would have
      been politically inexpedient to execute Davis, just as it was to try him for
      treason, it would have been a far diffeerent story with Benjamin, who would
      have made a fine example of "punishing" the leaders of the Confederacy...
      There would have been an outcry in some quarters, but certainly not the same
      level as would have occurred had Davis been hanged. Anti-foreigh,
      anti-catholic and anti-semitic attitudes existed at the time, and played a
      part in a good many things...

      Jim

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 3, 2004
        In  addition, the Ammens lived up on the square in Georgetown and Jake got Grant interested in going to college. And becoming a math professor.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street