Re: [civilwarwest] American Jewry in the Civil War..

  • James L. Choron
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2004
      Tracy,

      If you can, please do scan those pages for me. I can use all of the material
      I can get. Yes, I know, both North and South were extrememly anti-semitic at
      the time. One of the things that intreague me is the fact that in spite of
      this the Jewish Community of both sides made significant contributions to
      the war effort

      I think that it is a matter of degrees. While the United States was
      anti-semitic in that era to a great extent, it was not as anti-semitic as
      the places that most Jews immigrated from, and by token of this comparrison,
      adn the ability for them to literally start over and build a new life, they
      were extremely loyal to their regions, if not the country as a whole (like
      all others of the time).

      I also think, from looking at the individuals involved, men such as
      Benjamin, that in spite of anti-semitism a grudging respect and even
      admiration were the order of the day, simply based on these men's
      achievements and obvious ability. Benjamin was well thought of in his home
      district in Louisiana and by Jefferson Davis as well as others in the
      Confederate govrnment. The sense of "other" was expressed mostly, as is
      usual, by those who had never been around any Jews, and relied on the
      "popular myth" for their information.

      Jim

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 3, 2004
        In  addition, the Ammens lived up on the square in Georgetown and Jake got Grant interested in going to college. And becoming a math professor.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street