American Jewry in the Civil War..

  • tlind1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 31, 2004
      I found the book lurking in my basement on the shelf with all the
      old Civil War books a friend gave me while cleaning out his basement,

      For Jim:

      There are a few pages on Judah Benjamin,on how people in the North
      felt about him and how people in the South felt about him...not too
      flattering..as a matter of fact, in just reading a little of the
      book, the Jews were not very liked much in Civil War times but they
      did find a great friend in Abe Lincoln. The book contains letters
      from several Jewish citizens to Mr. Lincoln and his letters in
      return.

      Looks like an interesting book, that I may read sometimes and it is
      in great shape except for making me sneeze...been in basements too
      long...anyway if you want me to try and scan the pages on Benjamin,
      let me know. The only thing I am headed to East Tennesse tomorrow
      for work and won't return home until Friday.

      For Everyone else: In checking the rest of my forgotten treasure I
      found the following Civul War books:

      " The Crisis" by Winston Churchill
      "A Witness to Appomattox", Never Call Retreat", "This Hallowed
      Ground", "Mr. Lincoln's Army" and "Terrible Swift sword" all by
      Bruce Catton

      "General Lee" by Fitzhugh Lee(in bad shape)
      "StoneWall Jackson" by FGR Henderson

      Plus a ton of other goodies including a 1961 "Great battles of the
      Civil war" by the Editors of Life magazine

      I need to clean up more often

      Kindest Reagrds,
      Tracey
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 3, 2004
        In  addition, the Ammens lived up on the square in Georgetown and Jake got Grant interested in going to college. And becoming a math professor.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street