OFF TOPIC BUT BREAKING NEWS... VERY IMPORTANT...

  • James L. Choron
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
      All,

      Please forgive the off-topic post, but this is braking news and we need your thoughts and prayers...

      As of fifteen minutes ago, 20:05 Moscow Standard time, a powerful bomb exploded in the Rishskaya Metro (subway) station. Emergency workers are now in the process of entering the blast area, and early assessments of casualties and damage are only just coming in. So far, there is no casualty count, but the toll will be extensive. Rizhskaya is the station that serves the Riga Railroad station and a major commuter train station. This is the third such act within the space of one week, counting the two airliners. I will send updates as I receive them if anyone is interested.

      GOD BLESS THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION! PLEASE STAND WITH US IN THIS TIME OF NEED!

      Jim
    • vck21k@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
        Sir:
             If there's something specific one can do to help, please advise, by direct e-mail if more appropriate.  I am a small fish in the large pond of the D.C. metropolitan area & have a personal interest in affairs in Russia.
                                                              Take care & God bless.   Victoria K.
      • James L. Choron
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
          Victoria,

          Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and interest. No, there's nothing really specific that can be done. Our government over here is doing everything possible, as are the fire, police and emergency workers.

          The best thing that you could do for us... and I say "us" because I've lived here for many years, and view it as my second home...is help us get the word out. These Chechin thugs who did this are the same bunch that the U.S. is figiting in Iraq... they are funded by the same people, armed by the same people and have the same ultimate goals. They have waged their "Holy War" against Russia for over 10 years, and the death toll in innocent civilians is well into the thousands, not counting military casualties. This is nothing but the same kind of Islamic extremism that is now being fought by all Western powers.

          Keep us in your prayers, and help spread the word. Russia is in this fight along with the rest of you. For us, it's a little closer to home. They're right in our back yard. Chechinia is not, nor has it ever been, an "independent republic".It is an historical part of Russia that has been taken over by these fanatics.

          Jim
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James L. Choron"
            <Lord_Jim@m...> wrote:
            [snip]

            I'm probably the only one who sees the irony of a post complaining
            about "Chechen thugs" trying to "steal" territory from Russia on
            a "Civil War" message board.
          • vck21k@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
              Sir:
                  Your point is taken;  however, surely you do not mean to equate "Chechen thugs" with CSA 'rebels'.  Perish the thought~!   Enough already, most all are thinking, including yours sincerely,  Victoria K.
            • Ricky Washburn
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
                .. I do know that the following thought is dangiling out on thin ice, and i do not mean to start anything that is off topic, but i agree there is an ironicy, for if the war for southern independance were to "start" today in the same manner as it did in April of '61 at Fort Sumpter would not the seceding states be called terrorists?...but i also see it as it was a different time with different circumstances...so it is just a empty thought i am throughing on the table.
                   I also deeply and sincerly send my conndolences to the country of Russia and all affected by these Wrongful Tragedies.                                         Richard Washburn

                <Lord_Jim@m...> wrote:
                [snip]

                I'm probably the only one who sees the irony of a post complaining
                about "Chechen thugs" trying to "steal" territory from Russia on
                a "Civil War" message board.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • carlw4514
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Well, throw that thought back. If regular, not irregular, CSA troops
                  performing their duties can be regarded as terrorists, then of course
                  it means that George Washington and the others were all terrorists, too.

                  Ironically, some acts committed by people with CSA association and
                  support could be regarded as terrorist acts, something I view with
                  deep regret and hold Davis responsible for [and wonder who else should
                  be blamed]. In particular:
                  -attempted firebombing of a Vermont town
                  -attempted firebombing of 24 New York hotels. Count em, yep, 24!
                  -assassination attempts. This last I would like to think was totally
                  the acts of people deciding to do what they did on their own, however,
                  there is evidence their original organization was CSA supported.
                  Carl

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@y...> wrote:
                  .. I do know that the following thought is dangiling out on thin ice,
                  and i do not mean to start anything that is off topic, but i agree
                  there is an ironicy, for if the war for southern independance were to
                  "start" today in the same manner as it did in April of '61 at Fort
                  Sumpter would not the seceding states be called terrorists?...but i
                  also see it as it was a different time with different
                  circumstances...so it is just a empty thought i am throughing on the
                  table.
                • William Gower
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004

                    Although I understand the attempt by officials to bring the nation back together quickly, I do think that there should have been some sort of punishment and retribution on the Southern officials who were treasonous and caused so much death and destruction by their secession.  It is interesting to look at the treatment of people like Benedict Arnold for his treasonous act and then see how lenient the US was towards the South and their treasonous act.  I think that people like Davis and other top officials should have been punished regardless of the hard feelings that would have caused in the South.