Re: [civilwarwest] Question on Atlanta

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24, 2004
      In a message dated 8/24/04 6:26:01 PM Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:

      Johnston did not retreat but made strategic withdrawls so that he would not be defeated.  Whether it be Resaca. Cassville, New Hope Church, etc. etc. if Johnston had not withdrew, with time he certainly would have been defeated by Sherman's flanking ability.

      That is Correct Uncle Joe .

      Brig. Gen. Manigault had this to say .

      ( Hood) - The opportunity of defeating the enemy at  Peach Tree Creek was gelayed to longm and then undertaken with an inadequate force.

      ( Johnston )  Johnston with his superior generalship would have converted these affairs into brilliant triumphs . his forsight as to the enemy's movement proved correct in every point. Had he lost the opportunity, or the enemy not have laid themselfs open as they did at Peach tree Creek his intention was to have gathered his entire force on one of the enemy's flanks and attacked leaving only the militia which Gov. Brown was sending him to hold the works at  Atlanta.

      Even had Johnston lost Atlanta, Sherman never could have marched through Georgia and South Carolina as he afterward did. Neither could he by any possibility have committed the egregious error of undertaking the Tennessee Campaign a few months after leaving a large army in his rear to destroy and lay waste some of the most valuable region of country in the confederacy, interrupting our railroad and other communications from one end of the republic to the other.  Great as is the praise due the troops who fought under Hood, with Johnston they would have deserved still greater, for they would have fought even better.

      From the 17th day of July 1864 when General Johnston was removed from the command of the Western Army, events disastrous in the extreme many of them the result of mismaagement of military affairs in Georgia and the West, followed each other in rapid succesion. From bad to worst we hurried to our ruin. I do not mean to claim for General Johnston that, but for his removal, our cause would have been triumphant , for the country was rotten at the core,  and the people were fast wearing of the war; but I do think that the war might have been protracted for a least a year, and that eventually we might have obtained terms, such it is true as at an earlier period we would have scorned, but which would have left us in a far better condition than that to which we have since been reduced. ---  Brig. General Arthur Middleton Manigault -

      A Carolina Goes to War - The Civil War Narrative of Arthur Middleton Manigault Btig. Gen C.S.A.