Re: [civilwarwest] Does the South care, etc.

  • Michael McKinnon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2004
      One would be hard pressed to find a courthouse square in Georgia without a monument to those in Confederate service.  One interesting one is in Gainsville, Ga. called "Old Joe".  The monument was put up in 1909.  There was not enough money to have a statue created originally, but they found a statue of a Spanish-American war era veteran and used that.  Old Joe faces north, to defend the square against foes coming south.

      Michael

      "Laurence D. Schiller" <LDS307@...> wrote:
      Greetings Tracy:

            I fear I may tread on thin ice as regards the moderators
      here, but let me just say that 'the history of writing the history'
      of the Civil War is rather complicated and is bound up very much in
      revising what the war was all about and now, revising it back again.
      Far from the 'victors' writing the history of the war, in this case,
      it was the losers who controlled how the war came to be interpreted
      and regarded. Your very comment that 'Southerners have the right to
      their heritage' and then in the next breath talk about
      African-Americans as though their history is separate from 'Southern
      history' or to suggest that Southern heritage = confederate heritage,
      thus ignoring 100,000 white southerners from seceded states that
      fought against the Confederacy, is indicative of the very problem you
      are talking about. All of these Confederate symbols have become tied
      up with modern and racial politics and the reasons most people employ
      them has little to do with the actual Civil War. And therein lies the
      problem. Personally, I'd be happy to have the Confederate Naval Jack
      (actually I would prefer the 1st national - the real 'stars and
      bars') flying from the Confederate monument on the SC capital grounds
      when and if the state builds a monument on those same grounds to
      honor the 1st and 2nd SC Colored troops and flies a 35 star American
      flag on it. But, this isn't about honoring CW soldiers, is it. And
      that is really the problem. Well, I'd better leave it there as we are
      moving into modern issues and not the War in the West.

      Best,

      Laurie Schiller

      P.S. Tracy - you will find Confederate monuments in towns all across
      the south. I don't think you will find that Northern towns are unique
      in that respect.

      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller            19th Century Personalities
      Maitre d'Armes                        William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI

      Do you Yahoo!?