Best movie

  • laurence d. Schiller
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8 5:11 PM
      At 4:59 PM +0000 8/8/04, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > From: alexander steinmetz <alexandersteinmetz2000@...>
      >Subject: Re: best civil war movies
      >
      >alexandersteinmetz2000@... wrote:although the war will never
      >be truly reconstructed in movies what movie(s) do you guys think
      >best brings out what the civil war must have been like? i.e. Glory,
      >Wicked spring, Andersonville, Gods and generals.

      Greetings:

      I have always liked Glory the best. We don't have the tubby
      bearded guys (TBG) and I think the combat scenes are just excellent.
      G and G is just terrible.

      Best,

      Laurie Schiller
      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller 19th Century Personalities
      Department of History William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10 8:38 PM
        Am waiting to view the quite new "Shot to Pieces" and "Wicked
        Spring" via my NetFlix account. Will report back on them in a few
        weeks [they're way down on my queue].

        Have always had a soft spot in my [brain?] heart for "Red Badge of
        Courage" with Audie Murphy. Some hokey scenes, but also some
        touching and poignant ones, too; the scene I most like is the
        general on horseback visiting each of his regiments telling his men
        to fight like the devil then asking them what's for dinner tonight
        and promising to drop by to share their victuals.

        "Gettysburg," of course; "Glory," naturally. For the Civil War parts
        at the start, "Dances With Wolves." "Gone With The Wind," sure
        enough. "Cold Mountain" is acceptable, despite all the changes from
        the book. "Gods & Generals," now don't throw stuff at me, was OK in
        its theatrical release form; I want to reserve final judgement
        once/if an extended format is released ["signs point to yes" comes
        up in my "Magic 8-Ball" so Ted T. & Co. must be working on it as I
        type]. "Birth Of A Nation" wasn't too laborious, just had to keep
        telling myself to remember the time period in which it was
        written/made.

        I'm posting this before reading other folks' posts, and it's past my
        bedtime, so I've most likely not thought of some other obvious ones.

        AorB
      • davbonlam@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14 6:03 AM
          Hi Laurence,
          I read your note, would like to know specifically
          about the war in Jackson county Missouri: were there
          just field hospitals or any regular ones for the wounded?
          Also I can't find any details about the destruction of
          Sibley, battles of Blue Springs, pink hill,or
          Little Blue.
          I live in Denver so I can't research in person
          all, help appreciated
          Thank you
          B. lambert
          davbonlam@...